ClamXav

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mikey-, May 16, 2008.

1. Mikey- macrumors regular

I've just downloaded ClamXav and done a virus scan and got this back:

[​IMG]

Does that mean I have 280778 viruses because I thought there was no viruses for Mac.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

ClamXav scans for Windows viruses, that don't affect OSX.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

That's the number of Windows viruses ClamXav scans for. Infect files: 0 is all you need to pay attention to.

4. TheCreator macrumors member

Correct

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

ClamXav is designed for Mac OS X servers really and machines which are constantly transferring files to a Windows network. It just makes sure you are not transferring viruses onto Windows based computers.

6. GotPro macrumors 6502

Seriously...

Your odds of catching a Mac virus are about the same as catching AIDS from Mother Theresa.

Seriously.

7. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I figured the

Infected Files : 0

"No infected files were found"

would give you a hint...
    and I have

Known viruses: 364366; I would of guessed both linux and mac versions used the same list.

8. jlm123hi macrumors newbie

really?

tell that to me who has gotten a number of phishing viruses on his mac from using the mail app. that is why i now check in google chrome, a sandboxed app that doesn't download my infected email.

9. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

You don't know the meaning of a virus. Clicking on phishing links for idiots is your own fault.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Nice 3-year old thread resurrection. :rolleyes: You have never gotten a virus that infected your Mac, because there aren't any. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

11. Shrink macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Necrophile!!! :eek:

12. macconvert03 macrumors newbie

"Hiding" ClamXAV

I am a new convert to Mac and I love it. I have lots of questions but I will be searching the forums for answers and thoughts you all have on things. However, one question I do have. If I "hide" (command h) clamxav - does it still scan in the background?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Hiding an app only means its window isn't visible. It has no effect on the app's functions.

14. cacao cottage macrumors newbie

I am a mac novice and I am confused by something that keeps showing up when I do a search in Safari or Firefox...

I cannot "search" for anything without getting redirected to "dietpuma..." (3 days ago); "creditpuma..." (2 days ago); "datingpuma..." (yesterday); and "foodpuma..." (today). What is that? Malware? and how do I get rid of it?

:confused:

15. simsaladimbamba

Can the part titled "Why am I being redirected to other sites?" help you?
    Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.