Clarification about Archive and Install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gnownayr, Oct 29, 2007.

1. gnownayr macrumors regular

So i know that the archive and install creates a folder called "old system" or something. does this hold your saved documents and files? or old system files that are not important anymore. in other words, are all of my files in the same places that they were before the archive and install? or do i need to move them back afterward...and finally, could i simply trash the "old system" folder after the archive and install is complete with no bad consequences? thanks for your help!

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

It's basically old system files - some application support files may be in the archived library folder, but all of your user specific files remain in your home directory - oh, and yes, you can trash it once you're sure everything is working okay.

3. gnownayr thread starter macrumors regular

thanks! so basically there's NO reason not to do an archive and install? (and check the save settings box)

4. Geoff430 macrumors newbie

how much room?

I have 17gig left on my 80gig HDD, will that be enough room for an archive and install, most of its video, and photoshop...?

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Probably. especially if you do'nt install printer drivers and foreign languages.

Also to note on archive and install:

The old system folder actually has all your settings and whatnot, but then after installing a clean system of Leopard, the installation goes ahead and pulls things from your old folder, into the new system. So remnants that had replacements in leopard are left over in the old system folder.

Archive and install is really a nice installation method.

6. Archmagination macrumors regular

It also causes a problem in Leopard with Spotlight. As soon as you can you want to get rid of the Previous System Folder that is created. When the Leopard Spotlight is indexing if will freeze up when it gets to the Previous System Folder and will slow down your computer. The only solution I know of is to get rid of that folder.. once done the indexing will restart and run flawlessly.

7. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

why does it require so many more gigs (about 6 more) to do archive rather than just upgrade?

8. tivoboy macrumors 68030

copy it off

is there a way to copy off this old system folder? I cannot get it to copy, it just sits and hangs.

9. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I have a question about A&I. I have MS Office on my currently computer. If I did an A&I, would I have to re-install it afterwards? Because I currently can't find my MS Office disk and don't want to lose it during installation.

10. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You shouldn't have to. That's kind of the point of A&I versus a clean install.