Clarification on Apple Dev Program with 3.0 Beta Testers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wnxgenral, Jun 5, 2009.

1. wnxgenral macrumors 6502

so a buddy put me under his Dev account so I could legally install the 3.0 beta. Is this legit with apple? I can't seem to get an answer. Today i went to the apple store for some help with my iPhone since the battery is going to crap and he said that I would have to log into my DEV account and verify I am aloud to have 3.0 in order to replace the phone? Does anyone have a definite answer?

2. The General macrumors 601

3. wnxgenral thread starter macrumors 6502

so i can go to the apple store and have my phone replaced under warranty?

4. The General macrumors 601

Yes. If they Mac Genius questions you, then ask for the manager. Explain that you are a beta tester for your friend, who has a dev account.

I see no reason for them to deny you warranty work because of 3.0.

5. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

trust me, they do. last time i was at the apple store for a laptop issue, i had to restore someone else there's iphone because he was running 3.0

6. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

It's weird they would force to validate your developer status since you can't even install the 3.0 beta without a developer certificate. However, piggy-backing on your friend's developer account probably isn't legal. Developers are allowed to add employees to their account, not friends (friends are not included in the NDA they sign, employees are).

Furthermore, Geniuses don't have access to the 3.0 beta, so they couldn't restore an iPhone to make sure it's not a software issue even if they wanted to.

7. jason72780 macrumors regular

My camera wasn't working for awhile.I'm in the same boat with testing apps for a neighbor. I went to get it replaced while I had 3.0 and they said I had to talk to my neighbor about getting it replaced through the dev program. I downgraded to 2.1.1 and got it replaced a few days later. So you can get it replaced but not at the genius bar.

8. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

If it is just the battery then try and wait until 3.0 is officially released (we'll know monday how far away that might be).

Otherwise, as far as i know you are allowed to have "friends" be on your dev account to test the apps you are developing. If only "employees" were allowed then why would they even let "individual developers" who paid the $99 fee have 100 devices on their accounts? They could just limit it to the "company developers" who paid the higher fee.

9. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

You're confusing beta testing the developer's application with the beta testing of iPhone OS 3.0.

It's true you can add up to 100 devices for beta testing purposes in the iPhone Developer Portal. Those people who are certified for testing cannot download and install the iPhone 3.0 beta because they are not developers. Adding them to your list of testers only allows them to test your own application on their own device.

In the iPhone Developer Portal, you can also add developers (meant for teams). My partner is the "owner" of our developer account. When he signed up, he also added me, so I am a registered iPhone Developer. People added to the developer list are allowed to beta test iPhone OS 3.0 because they are developers. Adding friends to your account as a developer so your friend can try out OS 3.0 is wrong, since they are not an employee (or partner or contractor) of the developer who "owns" the account.