Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Context: I'm going to be moving to Portland, Oregon in the not too distant future. Before I do, I'll probably be buying an iMac to succeed the MacBook Pro in my signature (it runs fine, but my usage patterns have changed). Given this article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624 - I've always assumed that as long as I buy my technology in the state of California, Apple needs to be able to repair my Apple products regardless of where I need to take the machine in to get service. However, after glancing at it further, I'm no longer sure.

So, my question is this: is the policy on service on Apple's Vintage Products either:

a) So long as it is purchased in California (or Turkey), it can be serviced for up to 7 years after the fact REGARDLESS OF WHERE IT IS TAKEN IN FOR SERVICE

b) So long as it is serviced in California (or Turkey), it can be serviced for up to 7 years after the fact REGARDLESS OF WHERE IT WAS ORIGINALLY PURCHASED

c) So long as it is purchased in California (or Turkey), it can be serviced for up to 7 years after the fact SO LONG AS IT IS SERVICED IN CALIFORNIA (or Turkey); it can only be serviced up to 5 years after the fact anywhere else

?

Again, I was under the impression that (a) was the correct answer here. But after a re-read of the above article, I'm not so sure. It sort of looks like (c) is the correct answer.

Really, this is to determine whether or not it there's a benefit here to buying a new Mac prior to my moving to Portland or if it makes no difference as to where the machine is purchased.

Any help is appreciated! (Also, sorry if my wording made this question more confusing.) Thanks!

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
C is the answer

So by the end of this year, people who bought the trashcan mac pro on launch day outside of california (or turkey) will no longer be able to have it serviced, even though it will be the current model Apple sells today?

Same next year for the mac minis.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
So by the end of this year, people who bought the trashcan mac pro on launch day outside of california (or turkey) will no longer be able to have it serviced, even though it will be the current model Apple sells today?

No. The five- and seven-year "clocks" start on the day the company stops manufacturing a particular model. Those models may be dated by design/date of introduction but as far as I know, Apple keeps manufacturing new ones.

davidmartindale

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2011
PNW, USA

As ApfelKuchen stated. The 5 year window starts on the day the last device is manufactured. Since the trash can and Mac mini are still produced they will not be vintage for at least 5 years and a day

Reactions: MrUNIMOG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.