Clarification on JB and battery drain/lag

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Sunsean, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Sunsean macrumors 6502

I've already jailbroken an iPhone, but I'm just curious - I've read different things, but what is it that actually causes battery drain and/or slow/laggy performance in a jailbroken iPhone? Does the fact of just being jailbroken have ANY effect on these things? Or is it ONLY when you install a questionable cydia app/tweak?

I've read comments supporting both viewpoints - what do you guys think?

2. lapeno macrumors 6502

3. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

I've always been under the impression that it's either a tweak that doesn't play well with something else on the phone that causes the battery drain (and instability for that matter), and the lag is caused by tweaks/themes, etc. that use a lot of RAM (i.e. Winterboard - although I haven'd had any lag issues with Winterboard myself - I use it for only one theme, though).

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

Sigh here again tons of threads on the subject with lots of miss information and these threads always go bad like the other one already up http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1391295 most battery problems actully come down to your enjoying your phone more. ;) Also any graphic intensive tweak animated lock screen etc.

5. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

One thing that occasionally drains my battery is AppStore apps using the GPS, in particular apps supposed to remain running (MapMyRun comes to mind). In a few cases it looks like they leave the GPS running after the program terminates, and then most of the battery is gone next morning. I am not 100% sure of the culprit, but it does not look like it is JB-related. But of course we tend to blame the JB for all trouble on the phone :)

6. kokhean macrumors regular

Uninformed people, people using Android devices and Apple will always blame bad battery life on jailbreaking. Here's the truth: jailbreaking does not affect the battery at all.

7. Sunsean thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha, wow that's a lot of people who are wrong...so cool, thanks, you're saying that the jailbreak has no affect on battery. No offense, but how are you sure? Do you have a reference or is this from personal experience?

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Jailbreaking itself doesn't impact battery life one bit. Installing things via Cydia can.

9. kokhean macrumors regular

I am absolutely sure. And I'm pretty sure the hackers had said the same as well.

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

It is a very well known fact, all Jailbreaking does is removed a limitation imposed by the manufacture, giving "root" access to the device, root access "CANNOT" affect battery life; it is just another user on the system (with the difference that it is GOD like and it can do anything, while other users are limited by permissions). You can read more in depth in the article linked on my signature.

Now, Applications that the user install while being "root" can and would affect battery life since, they could/can inherit god like permissions.

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

The "JB affects battery life" people are either parroting what they've heard or don't understand causal versus coincidental and are overlooking the tweaks that they installed along with JB'ing or other changes.

12. Sunsean thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you. Yes, I realize what jb'ing offers, just not sure of the effects of it, if any...

13. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Now you are.