Clarification on Macbooks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by egyptianeyez, May 8, 2008.

1. egyptianeyez macrumors member

Ok I want to make sure of some things on the macbooks:

Ambient lighting keyboard

2GB or 4GB RAM upgrade

I want to get a refurbed blackbook but its before the newest generation came out, i want to make sure if i can put 2GB at least of RAM

Thanks!

2. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

The MacBook's don't have ambient light keyboard, only the Pro models have that; and yes, you can upgrade the MacBook's to either 2 or 4GB of RAM.

3. egyptianeyez thread starter macrumors member

How about the previous models, like the blackbook with 2.16 GHz i heard you cant go up to 4GB with those

4. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

With those models, the limit was 3GB of RAM. You can put 4GB RAM in the computers, but the computer won't fully utilize that extra 1GB of memory. However, it is recommend you install the RAM in pairs (ex. 2x1GB instead of 1x1GB and 1x2GB) to help boost performance. However, tests have shown that 3GB of RAM runs better than 2GB of RAM did, matched pairs or not. If I were you, I'd stick with 2GB. I have 3GB in my iMac and there is always 1GB never being used by me or the system. Hope this helps!

5. egyptianeyez thread starter macrumors member

6. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

There's a great article entitled "To Pair or Not To Pair" which might shed some insight. The short summary seems to be that 3GB performs better than 2GB, but 4GB performs about the same as 3GB, except when using a real hog like Parallels.

7. egyptianeyez thread starter macrumors member

Thanks that helped a lot, because I was about to ask if the 2.16 GHz Mid 2007 Model was noticeably slower than this years early 2008 model, so i will get this year's model with 4gb ram

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Definitely get the new one. I did and it's amazing. It's my favorite Mac I've purchased so far.