CLARIFICATION: Powered Vs. Non-Powered USB hub for Airport Extreme Base Station

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aeronauticsrock, Jan 21, 2012.

1. aeronauticsrock macrumors member

I am looking for some clarification on this- I have search and read tons of threads with few definitive answers.

I want to plug in 2 USB 2.0 3.5" hard drives to a hub on my AE. Both hard drives have external power (no thumb drives, or 2.5" externals).

Do I need a powered hub?

I know that in the apple support docs, it only ever mentions powered hubs. But if neither hard drive is going to be requesting USB power, is this really necessary?

Thank you very much to anyone that can provide clarification on this.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Unpowered is fine as both drives being 3.5" are powered.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

All USB devices request power over their USB power pins. Get the powered one, only just so you don't overload the Extreme's internal systems.

4. aeronauticsrock thread starter macrumors member

The correct answer was:

The powered USB hub was not necessary. Both drive work completely fine with the unpowered hub.

5. mtreys macrumors member

So regardless of how many ports on the hub, as long as each of the devices connected to it are powered on their own, the hub doesn't need to be powered?

6. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Correct. I ran a APE with 2 HDs and a printer on a non-powered USB hub. No issues ever.

7. mtreys macrumors member

Good info. Thanks!