Clarification Request: Current Events topic guideline

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by sear, Jun 1, 2008.

1. sear macrumors newbie

The following quotation is from the Current Events Forum Instructions sticky at:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40
    a) Please define "SPAM".
    b) If such move / deletion is to take place, will the thread author be notified of what and why? Or will the topic simply vanish, perhaps to cyber-oblivion, without explanation or notice?
    c) Is it possible to move such topics with shadow? If so, is there any reason not to do so?
    ~Last Friday I joined Mac Forums.
    In part as a cyber-courtesy & introduction, I opened a topic in Mac Forums "Current Events" forum:

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40

inquiring about whether the U.S. Drug War is an infringement or usurpation of the unalienable right of Liberty.

I realize this might to some seem a topic not well suited to that particular Current Events forum.

But:
    1) The U.S. Drug War is something to which every U.S. federal income tax payer is party to.
    2) The U.S. Drug War is something that every person in the U.S. is subject to.
    3) Drug War can be used to limit a U.S. citizen's access both to Mac computers, and to the Internet. Don't take my word for it. Visit a jail or prison cell, and check out the computer system in it.

For these reasons, Drug War has virtual universal relevance to the Mac, & non-Mac computing communities in the U.S.; and thus its relevance to that forum.

In addition, as of 9:AM/ET Sunday June 1, 2008; among the top 10 topics in that Current Events forum, were these:
    Is Drug War really less relevant than any of those?

I cyber-returned a few hours later, and could not find the Drug War topic I opened.
    Where did it go?
    Why?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

a.) Spam is generally adverts that are posted to the site.
    b.) It depends on the situation, in this case the post was moved and an explanation was left (see below).
    c.) It is possible to do so and in fact sometimes we do.

It is not less relevant however it is of a political/social nature and as such should be in the correct forum.

You can find your previous thread here*. It was moved to the Wasteland with an explanation given. As you do not have enough posts to post in the Politics, Religion, Social Issues (PRSI) the thread was closed. We may move a thread into the PRSI forum if the original poster (yourself in this case) has a high enough post count (i.e. greater than 100). Or if the original poster asks for it to be but on the proviso that they understand that they will not be able to partake in the discussion.

*You can find your previous threads by Selecting "Quick Links" - "My Profile" in there you will find options to view your posts/threads.

3. sear thread starter macrumors newbie

I first checked at Current Events, didn't see it there.
    Then I checked at the forum you suggest, and couldn't find it there either.
    The explananation is useful in helping to understand why.
    But if the poster can't find the topic, I'm not sure what utility the explanation has then.
    You may wish to consider that for any move.

I invite you to delete the Drug War thread.
    Locked, it's of no use to anyone.
    Cyber-space already has enough clutter.