Clarification required before proceeding with the jailbreak...

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by sers, Dec 29, 2007.

1. sers macrumors regular

Hi all.

I've been researching, quite extensively, this whole procedure regarding jailbreaking the iPod touch. I've searched through this forum, youtube and other sources for information and believe I have it figured out, mostly.....

I do, however, have a couple of questions that I hope can be answered here. Please have pity on me as I'm not as technically inclined as most on this board.

First off, in order to jailbreak the IPT and allow it to accept and run IPhone aps, you launch Safari, go to www.jailbreakme.com, and click on Appsnapp. This will install the application, reset the IPT, and voila, you have a jailbroken IPT. Fine....

Now, in order to install the Iphone apps, you need to do a couple of things, namely the following:

- click on installer again, click on source

- click edit

- click add

- go to http://repo.us.to

- click OK

- click done

- click on install

- install mobile mail prep (if you want mobile mail)

- install google maps prep (if you want maps)

- click on Iphone apps 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 (depending on your version)

- install applications as necessary.

If I'm missing something, please advise.

In my search, I noticed some sites explaining that after installing Appsnapp, and before installing anything else, you should do the following:

-click on installer again and install the following apps:
    - System - BSD Subsystem
    - System - OpenSSH

Does someone know what BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH are and do I need them?

One more question.......I'm assuming these steps are meant for version 1.1.1. If I have an IPT 1.1.2, I can downgrade to 1.1.1. using the steps posted on the net. However, in reference to Phatboy's post, I can upgrade the jailbroken IPT to 1.1.2 using his procedures. My question here is, what are the benefits of 1.1.1 over 1.1.2 and should this be done?

Thanks all for your help and patience. There's so much info out there regarding these procedures that it can get a little confusing.

2. albinoAZN macrumors regular

sounds like you've got it down. OpenSSH lets you SFTP into your iPod to manually insert files like apps and themes. I dunno what BSD does, but I would install them both anyway, they aren't large apps.

3. MurphyM macrumors 6502

Sers -

You're like me, making sure it's safe!

I just posted an article on my experience with jailbreaking my touch. It turns out I put more effort into it than I needed to. I manually copied the stocks, weather, etc on. I didn't realize I could do it with the installer.

I followed the directions at Lifehacker, my article links to it. It's really pretty easy. My article isn't click by click, like you're asking for, but I wrote bullet points on the main tasks and clarified things I found different from the lh instructions.

I would suggest installing stocks, weather, etc from the installer app on your touch.

Also, I rebooted my touch before I started the whole process. I didn't even get the error message the lifehacker article warned about.

I wouldn't be too worried about damaging your device. And I am so much happier with it now that it's more like an iPhone, like it should be.

-Murphy

4. Skilgannon macrumors member

Skilgannon

You just took my inicial questions of my mouth... but I used the search option, LOL!

BSD subsystem is required in order for some programs to work... just like you need DirectX installed to play games.

The difference between firmware 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 is (no one knows for sure apperantly, searched over the net, found nothing but rumors) the audio quality improves, the maximum volume, video playback and Safary efficiency improved.