Clarify delete key, (imac 2006)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spunklemonkey, Dec 15, 2008.

1. spunklemonkey macrumors member

Ive just come from a PC and Im trying to get used to the various keys and things, the delete key is different and I have the normal desktop keyboard from the iMac so it has a backspace and a delete key, I cannot get the delete key to do anything at all. I can use cmd and backspace to delete things but the delete key does not do anything anywhere and Ive read mixed things on various forums and searches with places contradicting other places!

In finder I cannot delete a folder using "delete" Ive also tried:

cmd + delete
    ctl + delete
    etc

Ive also tried deleting something from the desktop but again nothing happens. Is this the way it is? I have read cmd + delete is suppose to delete things but it doesnt, unless its just certain things?

Thanks

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Speaking of the iMac, which delete are you using?

Because the only delete your suppose to use is the same place as the regular backspace key. And to delete stuff the command is CMD + Delete (backspace).

3. spunklemonkey thread starter macrumors member

I see so the button with delete written on it isnt delete when people refer to it! so its not meant to delete even with any shortcuts?

I see then, its just a lot of places were saying cmd + delete but I assumed it meant the delete key not backspace.

I think it is clear now! basically the actual delete key doesnt delete anything other than letters etc

4. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

The keys work the same as the keys in the same locations on a PC keyboard.

Command + delete will move a selected file/folder to the Trash in the Finder.

Attached Files:

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Oh, so it will! I was just going to correct you that it should be command+option+delete, but just command+delete [backspace] works as well. You can empty the trash using command+shift+delete. That's a little annoying, since command+shift+eject sleeps for some reason, and eject is immediately above the delete key.

You can find a more complete list on the Apple support site, or in your System Preferences under Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

To be fair to Appe, on the old keyboards the eject key was at the top right corner.

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Granted, but their laptops have always had the eject key above delete as far as I know. My iBook and MacBook Pro are/were set up like that, anyway.

8. spunklemonkey thread starter macrumors member

To clarify, this is surely wrong because in the pc the delete button sends anything to the bin, whereas on the mac the delete button doesnt do anything only backspace does. So its not the same as the PC at all which is why I tried to get clarification but now someones saying there the same as a PC again so Im guessing thats wrong.

9. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Not quite correct. This issue arose in another thread. In text, the Del ⌦ on your Apple keyboard deletes any material to the RIGHT of the cursor (try it); whereas the Delete (or Backspace on a generic PC k/board which I'm using right now) key removes material to the LEFT of the cursor.

As a broad hint, the ⌦ key points to the right, indicating the direction its function is meant to go. HTH.

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I believe what PeggyD meant was that the delete key located where backspace would be on Windows behaves in the same manner. Most of the keyboard shortcuts are different, yes.

11. spunklemonkey thread starter macrumors member

ah well its no big gripe, I just didnt want to start off using cmd and backspace and later find out the other delete key was meant to be used. Glad its cleared up anyway, the x and right icon I guess explains what it does on the mac.

One thing I just finally cracked was that the ^ symbol means control in the mac shortcuts, it did say somewhere online it failed to mention its not actually the number 6 key with shift :) Anyway its another thing sorted!

12. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

I should have mentioned in my earlier post that Delete on a PC keyboard does what Del ⌦ does on an Apple k/b.

You can have a heap of learning experience by opening Keyboard Viewer from your national flag in the top menu bar. Once open, press the Modifier keys, ie. Shift, Ctrl, Option, Command and watch what changes on the KBV.

Perhaps a little OT, but on a generic PC keyboard, the Modifier key equivalents (in that same order) are Shift-Ctrl-Windows-Alt. With a little bit of experimenting, you'll find that a PC k/b does nearly everything an Apple k/b will.

As for Modifier key combos, you can spend half a day finding out what they'll do.

13. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The one that got me when I was first starting on a Mac was that the ⌥ symbol meant "option".