CLarksfield or Arrandale

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Thiol, May 25, 2009.

?

Which processor will be the first in a Macbook Pro?

1. Clarksfield

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. Arrandale

26 vote(s)
    70.3%
  1. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

This is totally for fun. The current Intel roadmap for Nehalem mobile processors has the quad core Clarksfield with low clock speeds (~1/6-2.0 GHz) coming out in Q3 of 2009. The dual core Arrandale processors will be out in Q4 of 2009 with clock speeds comparable to the current Penryn processors.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ella_with_quad_core_notebook_chips_in_q3.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/core-i7-macbook-apple,7001.html

Which one do you think Apple will throw into the MBP first? The slow quad core, or the fast dual core? Debate power requirements, user requirements, core vs. clock speed, etc.

2. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Id say the arrandale chips because they'll probably run a bit cooler.

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Sorry, this is the first I've heard of these new chips but Clarksfield? Heh, thats a rough village down the road where we had some riots a few years ago. What a name!

5. Thiol thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Yeah, Intel has this funny preference for English towns... Google a bit and you'll find even more!

6. Xil3 macrumors regular

Sounds good - I'll wait for that then :)

7. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

The iMac's will get Quads before the MBPs....I'd say at best, the 17" MBP gets a QC option, but it won't be standard.

8. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

agreed, current apple design does not allow for clarksfeild cooling.

9. Tamarindo macrumors newbie

MBP Update with the release of SL

Ok I undestand the cooling proble,m with claksfield but...

I think and really hope to see, an update of the MBP line in october, after the relase of Snow Leopard. I´m paciently waiting for a new uMBP 17" with antiglare screen, Nehalem i7 clarksfield, 1 TB HDD, and GTX 260 or 280 1GB Video RAM to replace my 4 year old MBP.

Don´t you believe it would be a wonderful MBP that would allow us to work on the road editing video, manipulating images in the way that we deserve?

I think a MBP with these characteristics and according to what we know about Snow Leopard, will give us the performance that Apple owes us as we are faithful users.

The problem is that for some reason, we the loyal Apple users, get always the same thing, we have a beautiful design, an impressive OS and laptops well built, but in terms of technical details regarding the processor and video cards, we usually are relegate with respect to the supply available on PC market.