Class action against Apple Valid after 30 days return period?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rotobadger, Jul 12, 2010.

1. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

First off, this is NOT a complaint. I have a case on my iP4 and, so far, it seems to do the trick.

I'm wondering though how Apple will handle the potentially several hundred thousand iPhone 4 buyers who realize, after their 30 day return period has expired, that the phone is not working to their expectations.

Please remember that all of us here on MR understand the issues and know we can deal with it or return. But we are likely a minority. Many consumers simply buy the phone and don't read the forums or tech blogs.

Even though it's been in the mainstream media (CR report now on cover on MSN.com) that still doesn't mean that everyone "gets it".

Also, Apple did issue a statement on their website but, it seems to me, the only way to truly insulate themselves would be to email all purchasers with a return deadline.

Again, not looking to re-start a pro/con antenna debate. Just curious how Apple can/will protect themselves against class action suits. I think the simple answer is to email everyone and say "We've been hearing about problems in the media (that we don't agree with) but, if you want to return it because of these concerns you have until X date. After that you're on your own".

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think that it is possible that Apple will handle it much like they did with the price reduction on the original iPhone. They will probably issue some sort of credit that you can use in their stores, online, iTunes, etc.

3. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Possibly, but that still doesn't fix the issue. Not that's I'd mind a $50 iTunes card! :D

4. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

You have a 1 year warranty. If you have an issue, exchange the phone for a functioning unit. The 30 day policy is time to determine whether or not you really want/like the phone.

5. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Since the most irritating issue is the hardware issue, I don't really see any other choice but give out/reimburse a case, or bumper, etc. They've lost class action lawsuits in the recent past, and fighting this one any longer will just make some lawyers a little richer.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

Ahh = but that's doesn't solve the issue for Apple, does it? UNLESS they acknowledge and issue AND issue a fix.

If they don't offer a fix - then why would people go and pay full price for a phone that others paid less for (got a credit for the issue).

The fix Apple did for early adopters last time only worked (correct me if I'm wrong) because they wound up lowering the price.

So Apple would have to lower the price (don't see that happening) + issue a credit to people who already purchased.

7. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I can see them issuing free bumpers to all iPhone purchasers. And in the future, maybe package a black bumper in the box with every iPhone. Until they can redesign the outside antennae.

That would be the easiest thing in my opinion.

For a fix, they could come up with a very thin, transparent wrap built into the iPhone. not sure how durable this would be over time, but they'd certainly have to make it that.

It's hard for them now to hide the metal wraparound since they've touted it as being part of what's so cool about it.