Class Action Against AT&T Re: MMS and Tethering not Enabled

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DrWeevil, Jun 23, 2009.

1. DrWeevil macrumors newbie

I don't have the time to do it, but there is an excellent case here for whomever is so inclined.

Before getting into it, google the following as one search entry: Verizon, Bluetooth, disabled, "Class Action"

AT&T is basically doing the same thing. They claim that they have not enabled MMS on the iPhone because their network is not ready for it, fears of bandwith issues... yet they have MMS enabled on all their other phones. They have AMPLE bandwidth... my sister can WATCH STREAMING TV ON HER AT&T CELL!!! Now, with them releasing the AT&T Navigator, which does NOT house the maps on the phone, and thus streams them, there is further evidence that they have ample bandwidth. They're just trying to delay it enough to the point where they feel, "If we enable it say in the late fall, that's not too far away; nobody will sue." But, if I know my fellow Americans as well as I think I do... somebody out there is litiginous enough to fight for all of us.

The same applies for tethering. They cannot claim their network is not ready/capable. They already have tethering enabled on their Blackberrys, and the network runs just fine!

Lastly their claims that they would need time to make adjustments in their network are totally bogus. AT&T is the first and tightest partner with Apple. When Apple comes up with a new feature, they figure out how it will work on the US network first, and test it on their network. Two of my friends who are Apple developers have already had MMS running on their iPhones for about 2 months now... so the network is already in place... definitely for MMS, likely for tethering as well.

The Verizon case comes into play as they had disabled certain functionalities of Bluetooth in one of their Motorola phones. In theory, they had done this so they could make more money by selling add-on features, or features that would have competed with what the phone was already capable of doing.

Anyhow, I could go on... but I'll leave it to y'all to add your two cents and pick it up from here.

Cheers

2. entity macrumors regular

By the time a class action lawsuit gets going the features will be released :rolleyes:.

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

first off who says they even have to offer either one.

just because he capability is there doesn't mean they have to offer it.

if its that important to someone they will find a service that serves their needs without having to sue some one

4. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

I LOVE this statement. People on here are saying the same thing. Macs work, don't break, etc. I guess the Apple Store buys those refurbs from Psystar.

5. rman0726 macrumors regular

as far as I'm aware, AT&T never advertised tethering or MMS. Apple advertised the iPhone as MMS and tethering capable. Not AT&T...

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

yep my radio in my truck is hd ready just like my iphone is mms and tethering ready

7. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Legally it's actually an easy case. MMS should be enabled. The feature would be out way before a lawsuit could be completed, especially with all AT&T lawyers.

8. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

You don't have time to do it, and you're clearly not an attorney.

9. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

10. weezite macrumors regular

lol, i love you iphone fanboys who think that AT&T has done nothing wrong here. i'm convinced that AT&T is run by a bunch of bumbling idiots. not having MMS ready at launch was a HUGE **** up for AT&T.. they've had 4-5 month to prepare for it's release and still dropped the ball. it wasn't a problem for almost every other iphone in the world to get it up and running for launch, but AT&T still managed to **** up. AT&T has always done crap like this and for you guys to tell people to stop whining when they're not getting service on par with AT&T's competitors is nothing but blind fanboy-ism. people SHOULD be complaining. if you're complacent about this lack of service, the AT&T will continue to dick you around. speak out to AT&T, voice to Apple your dissatisfaction. if enough people complain, mistakes like this will not be made in the future.

that said, a class action lawsuit against AT&T is ****ing retarded and will accomplish nothing. it's not like AT&T is banning MMS, they're working on getting it to you. people should just be upset that AT&T doesn't give a **** about it's customers enough to not get things done on time.

11. aarcarr macrumors member

The AT&T closest to me has MMS advertisements at their iPhone display.

12. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

yep. today i was in an apple store buying some stuff fo my sons iphone when i heard that mac processors are different from pc processors, the customer asked how so. Ready....over time pc processors slow down as they age where mac don't

When I could help myself any longer I had to interject
    The chipset found inside all macs are made at an Intel plant in Hudson, the processors for both mac and pc are made in arizona, new mexico or portland oregon and yes a chip in a mac could have ended up in a pc, vice versa.
    They were very happy to assist me in checking out,

13. AppleMark macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

Hmm..

Apple made the Phone for worldwide sales and included various capabilities. The carrier is not obliged to provide these services is it?

I have a HDTV, but do not receive Full HD pictures from all received media. Whose fault is that Pioneer or the satellite & cable companies?.

Q. What I am saying is that are you justified to sue your cable company because the TV you purchased has functions it is yet to support?

A. No

14. venasque macrumors member

There are a lot of things to get passion about. Issues to take a stand against, when you need to fight back against injustice. I don't believe this is one of those times.

It's just MMS. All this time and energy could be directed towards something worthwhile. Something that helps our fellow man. Why is it people don't feel this same level of passion for those causes?

Someone once said to me, "pick the hill you want to die on." It stuck with me and something I ask myself whenever I feel myself getting all worked up about an "important" issue. If I was going to die fighting, is this the hill I want to do it on? No it is not.

15. cmaier macrumors G3

You can't just sue unless you have a cause of action. They didn't promise MMS and tethering on launch. What's your legal theory?

16. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

What have they done wrong?

When apple announce the 3gs they were very clear that mms would be end of summer. Tether would be made available.

I offer no apologies/empathy for ATT but the iphone has become a part of my life and evey day need. mms would be nice but i am done beatching about not having it

17. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Thank you.

With all the trouble we have in this country regarding healthcare, employment issues, banking fraud, over-excessive spending by government departments, etc - people seem to get worked up about MMS. :rolleyes:

18. Legends20036 macrumors member

You can sue anyone for anything and everything you want anytime, just stupid things would be dismissed pretty early on.

19. cmaier macrumors G3

Don't be a semantic nazi. The point is that in your complaint you have to state a cause of action. If you don't, it will be tossed immediately for failure to state a claim.

20. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

21. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I won't join the law suit, but I am all for people asking companies to improve services and/or products.

22. Legends20036 macrumors member

Haha, sorry, I am way to bored a work so felt like saying that.

23. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

I returned a 13" MacBook shortly after they turned it into a MacBook Pro and added a better screen, Firewire and SD card slot. I was told I needed to pay a restock fee and when I asked why, I was told that it'll end up on the refurb store and it offsets the loss for them. They don't resell open-box packages like your local Fry's Electronics.

Breaking isn't the only reason a refurb store gets stocked. That's not to say they never break.

BTW, the lawsuit is a waste of time. AT&T is under no obligation to offer any feature on your phone that they didn't offer when you signed your contract.

24. weezite macrumors regular

what have they done wrong? not have MMS, a prehistoric feature that's been on cell phones for years, ready at launch, even though they were given ample notice by Apple. if other major carriers didn't have MMS ready at launch, this would be a non-issue, but because most were able to get it ready in time, AT&T has no legs to stand on right now. i completely agree with you that the iphone is an essential part of my everyday life as well, but let's face it, AT&T is dicking us around. if the customer simply sits down and takes their "**** you, we'll get to it when we feel like it" attitude, they will just continue to give out ****** customer service.

25. cmaier macrumors G3

Um, yes they do. They haven't injured you tortiously. They haven't breached a contract with you. They haven't breached a legally-cognizable duty to you. They haven't violated any law. "Sucking" isn't an actionable offense. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy the phone.