Class Action Lawsuit for rMBP w/ Image Retention

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macdude2010, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Hello everyone!
    Today on 9to5mac, I saw a report that someone is suing over the image retention problem on the retina MacBook Pro, as I have now had several machines that have had this, I wonder what might happen as the end result, hopefully an end to this problem, as it is very distracting as well as annoying for a 2k laptop to have (my config costed about $3500) I will quote the article below

Thoughts?

2. 1member1 macrumors 6502

For what I saw apple replace every defective laptop with image retention so there is nothing to sue about.. this is the first retina models let them learn

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It'll be some lawyers out for a buck or two.

They don't advertise it as a uniform display - will they be suing if they get a Samsung/Sandisk/Toshiba SSD too. Or if your iMac has a WD HDD rather than a Seagate.

4. Engali macrumors member

Nope. They only offered to replace my screen, but not the laptop itself.

5. broad macrumors member

different suppliers should be supplying part of indistinguishable quality. if everything is "right" you shouldn't be able to tell the difference between a samsung screen and an LG screen. the fact that you can means something is wrong.

i cant believe this even needs to be explained. trolling? you have to be.

6. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out!

Surprised it didn't happen sooner

7. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

ok, so my new rMBP came in about a week and a half ago from a CRU, still has IR, plus dead pixel and a stain on the aluminum, i opened up one more, trackpad was weird, i took the one with the IR, dead pixel, and stain (didnt know it was a stain.) anyways, the store will no longer replace, so i called applecare, they brought it up to customer relations and all they can tell me is i need to get the image retention test done (which doesnt show it properly) otherwise, all they can do is refund my money (only until tuesday) otherwise, stuck with the top of the line rMBP with these problems

8. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Lucky me. Return it and get cash. Out of this retarded problem loop.

9. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I'm sorry, that made no sense to me at all, care to elaborate?

10. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

I was one of the first shipment that got rmbp back in june. Me and a lot of ppl were trying to explain to Applecare. But they just did not admit to the problem and refuse to replace the screen. It was lottery and nightmare experience. We were about going for class law suit action as well. Now, I am glad someone did. At least , there is one person step up and tell them, this is not right of selling rmbp with different quality.
    In my case, customer executive relation called me and said my 2 months old rmbp can be returned. So, I decided to return and got out of this problem without purchasing any macbook pro. I am waiting for this coming year. Haswell version, I hope they fix the problem.

11. marc11 macrumors 68000

I do not see a lawsuit here, I get the merit they are trying to rely on, it is not that Apple is not replacing or repairing the laptops, it is that Apple made a promise that every rMBP would be of the highest quality and the fact is, some, specifically those sold with the LG screen are subpar. I guess they are alleging that Apple knew about the LG problem but sold them anyway, knowingly with a subpar screen.

If Apple refused replacement or repair or denied the problem then maybe this case has merit, but honestly, Apple is doing the right thing, this case is just lawyers tring to make a few bucks, nothing more IMHO.

12. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Apple is denying me a replacement at this point, I expect my rMBP to pass the IR test because it passed on my last one with terrible IR, and they said if it passed, i cannot do anything about it.

13. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I have a 2012 rMBP (mines a BTO, the original 2.3 version with 16GB of RAM), and lately the ghosting has become very apparent for me. When the first reports about the burn-in started coming up a few weeks after I received my computer, I tested my screen and was unable to replicate the issue. However, I don't know if I wasn't leaving the images on the screen long enough, or if it has gotten worse over time, but it's beginning to become a lot more noticeable and it's really bothering me. Normally, I don't know that I'd be upset about an issue like this, but like many have said, my $2200 computer better be perfect.

I'm kind of stuck since I'm not within the 30-day return policy, so I don't know what my next step should be. I know if I take it into my local Apple store that they'll replace the screen for free, but I don't know...I hate the idea of my laptop having to get 'repaired'. I baby the hell out of all my stuff and I know the Applecare technicians won't treat it like I do when it's getting repaired, and overall it's just an annoying situation. This whole situation just shouldn't have to occur- if I had gotten a Samsung panel none of this would be happening, so it's just really frustrating they are using inferior parts. And ***k LG, haha just thought I'd throw that in there.

I remember I had a similar problem when I bought my 2011 MBA. My original one came with a Toshiba SSD, which was slower, but luckily the reports came out while I was still in my 30-day return window. I went in, explained my situation, and they let me walk out with a brand new MBA with a Samsung SSD. Wish I could have a similar experience with this laptop.

14. marc11 macrumors 68000

Well then that is different; if they are denying repair or replacement for known bad units, then go get them. You paid your money, you should get the quality product Apple promised.

15. 1member1 macrumors 6502

Yeah i meant replace the screen. why do they need to replace all the laptop ?

16. thirty7alpha macrumors member

thirty7alpha

Amen to these complaints for what is unquestionably a very expensive product.

I am now on my 3rd Retina in 3 months. Apart from the burn in that I've had, I have HUGE issues with typing text into Safari (even using Webkit), graphics tearing, on and on. I don't care if it's "software". It should work right out of the box. Period.

17. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Good luck to those who think they have a shot at this:rolleyes:

18. AFDoc macrumors 68030

My thought is people need to get a freakin life and stop being such douchebags. IF you can prove a defective product it will be fixed/replaced. What more do people want?

19. jozeppy26 macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

Have there been any reports of image burn-in? Or are all these cases simply dealing with image retention?

20. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Can image retention even qualify as defective? According to what?

Each manufacturer has its own criteras to determine if a display is defective or not, as long as it doesn't affect the functionning of the device as a whole.

What if Apple considered image retention to be acceptable, and they only replaced the display of those who complained out of goodwill, at their own discretion?

It's not like image retention (or lack thereof) is a measurable spec that they touted in their marketing. They didn't promise anything.

You can't just sue because you think a product sucks, you have to prove it's defective first. That part alone is tricky, when you know that even dead pixels (easily measurable) often aren't enough for a display to be considered defective.

And then there's the part about the fact Apple did everything you'd expect: replace the defective part, at no cost, as fast as they could, without the hassle of filling a bunch of RMA papers or whatever. What more do you want at that point.

21. broad macrumors member

if you have nothing intelligent to contribute why bother posting?

if you have done even a smidgen of reading/research on this issue you would know that there are literally hundreds of people reporting (with video/photo evidence on this forum and numerous others) that machines that clearly exhibit IR *under normal use* still pass apple's IR test and therefore are denied repair/replacement.

educate yourself

22. leman macrumors 604

Then please show us some links. I have been reading these forums for month, and I don't remember a single thread where someone was denied a screen replacement.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.