Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Class Action Lawsuit Over iPhone 7 Audio Chip Defect Narrowed, But Allowed to Proceed

russell_314

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Unfortunately Apple won’t be paying for this lawsuit but rather people who buy Apple products or products in general. Everybody gets excited when they hear about one of these lawsuits thinking they’re going to cash in... The money doesn’t come out of thin air

I still have my iPhone 7 and works fine other than the cracked screen. Maybe I just got lucky though

Comment

mi7chy

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2014
backup your data, no backup then no luck. People a just plain dumb and take zero responsibility for their data. If an update causes data loss and you have no backup then tough ****.

Video also covers why 'backup shaming' is also wrong.

Comment

Marshall73

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2015
Video also covers why 'backup shaming' is also wrong.

I’m sorry but any device Desktop, Laptop, Tablet, Phone, camera, usb drive etc containing data should be backed up. If you don’t and it fails then you and only you are responsible for the data loss. As modern devices move to flash storage this has become more important as previously you had half a chance of getting files back from a mechanical drive, but everyone should have at least one data backup. For irreplaceable data like photos etc you should have multiple backups kept in different locations and cloud backups.

Comment

Mhanos

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2014
Had this pop up on my wife’s 7 at the 14 month mark and got a lot of BS about how it was “so far outiside the warranty period”. 2 months isn’t a lot when our iPhone 6 still functions as a phone 5 years later as well as some other devices we still have in drawers.
It really irked me, but I’m giving Apple the benefit of the doubt that I have been happy with past purchases and the company as a whole. Her 7 still functions with Bluetooth buds (although it’s annoying) and we may just upgrade to the se2/9 when that comes out. But this is a strike against Apple and if another issue comes along on our next phones then it’s a pattern and I’m happy to move on to less expensive alternatives.

Comment

russell_314

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I’m sorry but any device Desktop, Laptop, Tablet, Phone, camera, usb drive etc containing data should be backed up. If you don’t and it fails then you and only you are responsible for the data loss. As modern devices move to flash storage this has become more important as previously you had half a chance of getting files back from a mechanical drive, but everyone should have at least one data backup. For irreplaceable data like photos etc you should have multiple backups kept in different locations and cloud backups.
I couldn't agree more. If you fail to backup your data then you only have yourself to blame for losing it. There's no excuse in 2020 to not backup your data. I've lost important documents and photographs because I didn't back them up and I can only blame myself.
[automerge]1580653032[/automerge]
Had this pop up on my wife’s 7 at the 14 month mark and got a lot of BS about how it was “so far outiside the warranty period”. 2 months isn’t a lot when our iPhone 6 still functions as a phone 5 years later as well as some other devices we still have in drawers.
It really irked me, but I’m giving Apple the benefit of the doubt that I have been happy with past purchases and the company as a whole. Her 7 still functions with Bluetooth buds (although it’s annoying) and we may just upgrade to the se2/9 when that comes out. But this is a strike against Apple and if another issue comes along on our next phones then it’s a pattern and I’m happy to move on to less expensive alternatives.
You get one year and have the option of getting two more years of warranty support with AppleCare. I guess you expected to get AppleCare without paying for it?

Good luck with getting any support on those "less expensive alternatives"... On the positive side they'll be cheaper to replace when they die so I think the overall cost will be lower. I'll be the first to say you can save money with cheaper alternatives to Apple products.

Last edited:
Comment

interessiert

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
And what's about the "display disease" that sucked in iPhone 6 and 6+ ?!

No claim?

Apple served same bad service as with this audio chip defect – same cheating and replacement with the identical faulty phones... :mad: :apple: :mad:

Company behavior like "bad boys" :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: russell_314
Comment

razmanugget

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2008
Cool! I've been watching these boards to see if a lawsuit would start for the iPhone 7. I have the speaker issue and was offered $50 for trade-in value when we upgraded my wife to a iPhone 11. Felt like that was robbery, so I'm still holding this crappy broken iPhone 7 waiting for a fix.

The phone works with Airpods, but is pretty worthless without them

Comment

apfelmann

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007
My iPhone 7 was affected by this issue. I got it repaired for 150 euros.
I hope APPLE pays for this repair someday ...
[automerge]1580676458[/automerge]
My iPhone 7 Plus also has a strange issue ... WiFi is very slow most of the time ... but I can live with it

but this WiFi issue also seems to be widespread

Comment

JosephAW

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2012
People understand backup-plans, backup-documents, etc. This is 2020 not 1950, people understand back-up your data. "Backing shaming" in 2020 is perfectly legitimate.
Part of the backup issue is also Apple's fault in that they do not allow backups over cellular but only WiFi.
Where I live we only have electricity and cellular data. To back up my iPhone to iCloud I have to connect my iPhone to my computer via usb and turn on hotspot and then on the laptop share the usb to WiFi and then on my iPhone connect to the laptop's shared WiFi and then it will backup. But that uses up my hotspot data limited to 2GB / mo. So for now I have to use iTunes backups. That's fine until macOS or iOS eventually removes iTunes backups in future updates.

Comment

russell_314

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Part of the backup issue is also Apple's fault in that they do not allow backups over cellular but only WiFi.
Where I live we only have electricity and cellular data. To back up my iPhone to iCloud I have to connect my iPhone to my computer via usb and turn on hotspot and then on the laptop share the usb to WiFi and then on my iPhone connect to the laptop's shared WiFi and then it will backup. But that uses up my hotspot data limited to 2GB / mo. So for now I have to use iTunes backups. That's fine until macOS or iOS eventually removes iTunes backups in future updates.
It’s Apple’s fault that you don’t have Wi-Fi ?‍♂️. You can also back up to a PC or Mac but perhaps if you don’t have Wi-Fi you don’t have that either?

Reactions: I7guy and JosephAW
Comment

yellowstone

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2020
I had this issue, manifested post-warranty but the audio seemed to degrade in the warranty period - who knows if it was related because Apple hid the problem? Got the run-around from Apple, same as others here. Searched online and found MacRumors coverage of the issue. I used to work in the auto industry for years (legal) and recognized that Apple was taking a page from the auto's playbook, the same conduct which has led to the promulgation of lemon laws across the country. I know from past professional experience that waiting for someone else's class action can be a fool's errand because it can take years, and the recovery can be minimal. The real beneficiaries are the class action lawyers who reap windfall fees. So, I decided to file my own small claims lawsuit, arguing essentially the same thing at issue in the class action lawsuit. Apple's rep (local store manager) argued the express warranty limitation excluded my claim, and that he personally had never heard of this issue, nor of the class action lawsuit. I successfully persuaded the judge that in my state, companies' attempts to limit implied warranties are disfavored, and that if they don't do it perfectly then the implied warranty remains and that as a matter of public policy Apple shouldn't be allowed to skate on their obligation to provide a phone that works for a reasonable period of time. I presented some data showing that the useful life of an "average" smartphone is about 5 years. The judge bent over backwards trying to convince Apple to make some type of fair offer, but they remained at "0". So he awarded me half of the list price, $450. I cashed the check last week. This wasn't the easiest process, but I encourage everyone who has experienced this issue to flood Apple with small claims lawsuits. They're counting on customers meekly accepting the runaround, and "upgrading". Their conduct needs to be called out.

Comment

Loono

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2009
Any news?
My iPhone 7 phone calling stopped working back in September, I went to the Apple Store and they did a diagnostic and confirmed there was an issue with the audio chip. She said she known cases of this happening and suggested a wireless earphone.
As above it works with AirPods.

Comment

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
Any news?
My iPhone 7 phone calling stopped working back in September, I went to the Apple Store and they did a diagnostic and confirmed there was an issue with the audio chip. She said she known cases of this happening and suggested a wireless earphone.
As above it works with AirPods.

I ended up trading in my iPhone 7+ to Apple for a decent credit last year. It had this issue but they didn’t test for it. Better than $0 I would have gotten trying to sell it privately... sucks that Apple won’t step up to the plate on this.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.