Class lecture notes...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kidwithdimples, Sep 10, 2009.

1. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

I searched for it but didn't find anything to my interest.

In my Computer Systems Security class, we started taking lecture notes from the big projector screen. I tried using MS OFFICE but after a while later it causes problem due to me using SL.

So I just used TextEdit to take the notes.

Is there any other application that will make my life easier?

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

what version of office are you using?
    Word 2008 has a very intuitive outline mode. After you make "I. Title, II. Title 2, etc." it automatically makes an outline for you when you hit Return/Enter.

3. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am using 2008 version 12.0.0

Sometimes it gives me an error and allows me to save my document then quit. I guess it's not compatible with SL.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I always took notes with Voodoo pad. It's awesome for class notes.

6. cuestakid macrumors 68000

The best thing you can do is to install windows and use OneNote. Does your school have any kind of deals on windows or Office? If you are in a CIS department they very likely will have copies of both for dirt cheap via MSDN. OneNote is the best note-taking program period. I used it for four years in college and it makes a mockery of all other note-taking apps. The only one for mac that is even close is curio. However I have to say that it is only half as good as OneNote.

In short, the best note-taking app I have ever used is OneNote and the only one that comes close is Curio. However as someone who has taken a class on network security, you want to have access to a windows machine of some kind for not just takng notes but also doing labs and such.