Classic Applications?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HappySnail, May 31, 2008.

1. HappySnail macrumors regular

I have a few applications and games i would have liked to have used on my iMac but are crossed out because they are classic applications and "the classic application environment is no longer supported" Is there any way to run these easily using an emulator or other software.

I'm running Leopard 10.5.3 if that helps
    Thanks

2. bartelby macrumors Core

SheepShaver springs to mind. I have no idea about it as I run Classic apps via an old machine running OS 9.

3. Queso macrumors G4

You'll need a copy of the Classic MacOS and a ROM file (which can be obtained by downloading a ROM Update from the Apple website), but SheepShaver will meet your needs. Not particularly quick, but does the job.

EDIT : Ah, beaten to it.

4. SailorTom macrumors regular

There certainly is. You can use Sheepshaver for OS8.6 to 9.0.1 i think. if you want to use a version earlier than that you need BasiliskII

a google search should give you all the information you need.

5. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Nothing to emulate on an Intel? There's an opportunity for VMWare or Parallels.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Why? VMWare and Parallels are not in the business of emulation (which allows software written for one CPU architecture to run on another architecture) rather virtualisation (which presents a virtual machine of the same architecture as the host).

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I know. You get my point. It would just be fun to be able to boot up OS 9 in a window on an Intel machine. There are fewer and fewer PowerPC Macs out there, and as each one dies, so does the number of machines that can run the old OS. Would be nice to keep it alive.

Nice avatar btw.

8. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Sheepshaver is universal binary, so it will run on Intel macs.