Classic buckle: does the band attach with a traditional spring bar?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gethappy, Apr 19, 2015.

1. gethappy macrumors newbie

Future Apple Watch SS with Classic Buckle owner here.

I was curious to know if anyone had poked around (during a try-on appointment?) to see how Apple's classic buckle ECCO leather band is ACTUALLY attached to the case adapter module.

With a traditional spring bar? Or something harder to crack to effect a DIY band swap?

2. JohnApples macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

The leather band is "permanently" looped around the adapter. So no, no spring bar.

3. smr macrumors 6502a

It looks as if it the leather is somehow moulded around the stainless steel fitting. You can zoom in on the Classic Buckle product page.

4. gethappy thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree that the pics on Apple's site don't suggest a replacement strategy.

However, after some Googling, I found a replacement kit from Baseus that seems to offer a tool, some bolts, and replacement instructions for removing Apple's band.

It appears that the classic buckle band's attachment "rails" may be a two-piece unit that unscrews from the case module??

Although I'm not a huge fan of Baseus' band, this seems to open up lots of DIY possibilities, no?

5. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Interesting. I did not think to look at the "inside" of the attachment, and it doesn't seem many others have either as I can't find a picture showing a closeup of the adapter.

If true, then I suppose putting on 3rd party straps would actually be a possibility without the need for a 3rd part adapter.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That product makes no sense. If it is indeed possible to take apart Apple's classic band attachment, then in order to use Baseus' band, you would need to buy Apple's band for $150, pay another $25 to get Baseus' band, and you replace Apple's black band with Baseus' black band? ?????

Now, if Baseus is selling you the *attachment* for $25, so you can use any watch band you want, that would make sense.

7. gethappy, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015

gethappy thread starter macrumors newbie

Like most things surrounding Apple Watch, the Baseus "replacement" is available for "pre-order", so perhaps they're just guessing?

However, I doubt it. Just saw some close-up photos of some of the replica bands coming out of China, and they seem to feature this same construction for the classic buckle case attachment.

So... it will be something fun to look for once my Classic Buckle Apple Watch is unboxed. If there indeed are screws there, and if indeed they are removable by mere mortals with tools that don't cost a fortune, then that opens the door to the whole world of watchbands without having to wait for the Kickstarter crowd to finish their projects. :cool:

8. Gmlens macrumors newbie

does the bar where leather strap is attached a spring bar or is it in two part with screws?

Attached Files:

9. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Gmlens macrumors newbie

It looks that ti is with screws? NO

Has anybody a pic with releasing the leather from the actual sliding mechanisme?

thanks
    it is important :)

11. Patchwork macrumors member

The loop it is attached to the bar by tiny star screws, so should be possible to remove them if you have a small enough tool.

Apple Watch  5.jpg

It looks like the Baseus kit comes with the right tool and same kind of screws as shown in the picture above.

12. Gmlens macrumors newbie

Thanks this is a great help really thanks again!

13. Crazy Matt macrumors 6502

Crazy Matt

Oh this is great news, right? So if you have the right tool for those screws you would be able to use any tradition 22mm strap then?

14. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

this would be great! there are some really good custom aftermarket band manufacturers out there!

15. Gmlens macrumors newbie

16. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

In general, as a band I assume will start showing some wear, that'll be nice because it means that the watch essentially comes with built in adapters.

17. gethappy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the great photo Patchwork! My hopes are now confirmed... so time to start planning the purchase of some alternate bands! Currently thinking maybe an alligator or alcantara option.

18. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

Anyone with a classic buckle try to take the adapter apart yet? I'll be interested to hear if it's possible to easily remove the black band and swap the strap.

19. Gmlens macrumors newbie

I'll get mine on Monday and i will try it straight away keep you posted

20. Thyraz macrumors newbie

Worked. :)

Ordered simple leather straps for a normal watch and removed the screws with a screwdriver of a mobile repair kit I bought some time ago for my iPhone.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

21. dtjay7 macrumors regular

Thanks for the information. Is the bar through the strap in two pieces?? Thanks :)

22. techno-Zen macrumors 6502

That looks awesome, what width of band is that?

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

link to band?

24. Thyraz macrumors newbie

Yep, works exactly like in the image in post #8 in this thread.

It's a 20mm band on a 38mm watch. I guess the max width for a 38mm watch will be 22mm.

It's from a small marketplace seller on Amazon Germany. Couldn't find it in the US store.

25. Gmlens macrumors newbie

Is this the correct tooling to unscrew the 4 screw to change the Apple strap?

WIHA PENTALOBE PICOFINISH P02 39827