Classic Buckle vs Link Bracelet?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by joealanjones, Mar 15, 2015.

1. joealanjones macrumors member

Which do you prefer?

And which do you think suits the "young professional" look the best?

I was almost settled on the link bracelet, but wonder if it's a bit of a dad watch.

2. vc2020 macrumors regular

The link does seem like an old dude bracelet. The classic buckle is subtle and still looks a little dress-y. I just wish it came in navy blue.

I'd go for the milanese loop over the link but my main choice without having tried anything on is the classic buckle.

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Agreed on everything you've said. I'm still stuck between Milanese and classic buckle.

4. vc2020 macrumors regular

I'm actually less sure now too. I'm getting to black sport band with it so I don't know if I reaaally want to have 2 black bracelets. If the classic was navy blue I wouldn't have any doubts what I was getting.

The only thing I'm not crazy about for the milanese loop is that it's a loop but that issue comes down to actually trying it on.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

To me, the classic buckle is the tried but boring choice. Every watch I've worn had bands with that type of closure. I'd love to try the leather loop, but it comes only in 42mm, which I fear is too big for my wrist. I also might like the Milanese loop, if it isn't too heavy. I never liked link bracelets, those just lok too big and heavy.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

One thing that bugs me about the Milanese loop is that the ends where it meets the watch are not symmetrical.

7. Stefan. macrumors newbie

Stefan.

Classic Buckle in black is my favorite. I don't like steel bands.

8. vc2020 macrumors regular

Yeah exactly what I mean by not liking that it's a loop. The hodinkee pictures of it looked good but I'd want a view from the top.

I really hope Apple will surprise us with more classic buckle options.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What do you mean by "not symmetrical"? Only band that is truly symmetrical is the link bracelet.

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Classic Buckle vs Link Bracelet?

The loop part. One end is a single layer and the other side is looped which looks like 2 bands on each other.

11. vc2020 macrumors regular

I think he means how to band comes out from the watch itself. One side comes out straight and the other loops around. All the magnetic loops are asymmetrical in that sense but none of the others.

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Thanks. The more videos I see with the Milanese loop the less I like it but on the flip side the classic buckle looks great but it's so boring lol.

13. vc2020 macrumors regular

That leaves one option... Take out a loan and get the Edition.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

But aren't the choices for Edition bands a classic buckle or modern buckle? I think the modern buckle is interesting, but many seem to think it looks feminine, that leaves classic buckle -- unless you think it isn't boring because it's gold! :D

15. vc2020 macrumors regular

It isn't boring because you have the navy blue leather option on the classic (and it matches my navy blue leather cases for my phone and iPad). Also keep in mind I never said the classic buckle was boring :cool:

Edit: but I don't like the gold.

16. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I think I'm just going to start with the classic buckle and see what happens.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Right, I'd forgotten the buckle for Edition was navy blue. Yes, that'd be nice. Or if they even had one in brown or tan. Black is boring, lol.

18. vc2020 macrumors regular

Either Apple is underestimating the demand for more colors for men or they're smart to limit it to an unaffordable option to make it even more appealing. We'll probably see more bands by the fall though.

19. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Lol I am having the exact same dilemma. Getting the 38mm SS but can't decide between classic buckle and Milanese loop, and my issue with the loop is the same as yours.

However, bear in mind while watching the hands-on videos, a lot of them are wearing the Milanese loop incorrectly (with the loop part on top, instead of on the bottom). I'm hopeful that's the reason it bulges so much on the loop side in the videos...

20. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Something tells me it doesn't matter and that it will end up bulging on the bottom side instead if connected the other way.

----------

The loop looks good in ads but in videos it's so bulky on 2 side.

21. rhyme macrumors regular

rhyme

I'm trying to decide between the modern buckle and the Milanese loop. My concern with the loop is whether it will be too heavy or scratchy on my skin.

22. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

This will all come down to appearance. But having had something similar to a milanese watch I'd say there is no way it is either too heavy or scratchy. Those links are very fine and very smooth. None of the non-gold watches are heavy anyway. Even the link band isn't heavy by metal watch standards.

23. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

My biggest concern is the strength of the magnetic closure on the Milanese loop. How easy is it going to be to catch on everything and slip off.

24. leventozler macrumors 6502

Link bracelet reminds me the old (and geeky) Casio watches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]