Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016
Does anyone have a picture of the 2nd gen and 3rd gen Classic Buckle side by side? (preferably Saddle Brown)

And if you do own both, which do you prefer? Which one looks nice or is more comfortable

thanks

pcall1128

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2015
Pennsylvania
Does anyone have a picture of the 2nd gen and 3rd gen Classic Buckle side by side? (preferably Saddle Brown)

And if you do own both, which do you prefer? Which one looks nice or is more comfortable

thanks
I personally like the gen 1 classic better, but I believe the 2nd gen one is probably better quality...if that makes any sence. There's only 2 gens

chuyn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
There are three generations of the classic buckle (two for saddle brown, it debuted as a 2nd gen)
1st gen is flat leather with squarish end and only came in black. 2nd gen has the groove going around and has a rounded end. And 3rd gen has the stitching.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015

thanks
I have the 2nd gen in saddle brown and I don't like it at all. Even prefer gen 1 over the 2nd gen. The first gen looked a little cheap, but I have black and I like the slight ripples in it, but it isn't much. The 2nd gen is smooth and looks plastic. I have two 3rd gen and they added more of the look of the first gen with stitching on the sides. Looks the best of the three but all are so so when compared to the Hermes. I have the Hermes in a color similar to the saddle brown but that is where it ends.

Go with gen 3. It looks stronger and much better looking than gen 2.

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
I agree, I had a gen 2 and decided to go get the gen 3 because I thought the stitching looked terrific. It does.

It's a judgement call, but I sure like the look of the stitching far more.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016
I agree, I had a gen 2 and decided to go get the gen 3 because I thought the stitching looked terrific. It does.

It's a judgement call, but I sure like the look of the stitching far more.
The stitching isn't that bad
But I HATE the stitching on the Hermes tan, it's white so it stands out so much

More than just a pretty accent, it stands out badly (in my opinion)

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
I bought the 3rd gen Black leather and it is stunning. I hesited between the brown and black, but over time the brown ages too much.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
I believe both, even if you're careful, it will turn dark over time. For the black buckle, i wont have this problem.

True. Patina. It's a plus in my opinion. Saddle brown leather texture feels great vs the other colors.

How can you not love 3rd gen saddle brown?
33056a1571ac7fea0d276bc518181e57.jpg
a054e7a4da96ca4a9577f7dd956c1255.jpg
8b22d5a685fcffa8c9452fcf863b0c05.jpg

12bc4d985f5f5ee6aa1623e6ceb95aca.jpg

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016
True. Patina. It's a plus in my opinion. Saddle brown leather texture feels great vs the other colors.

How can you not love 3rd gen saddle brown?
a054e7a4da96ca4a9577f7dd956c1255.jpg
Love the watch and band
But the watch faceo_O

Don't like the 3 vivid colors with the beautiful tan leather

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Love the watch and band
But the watch faceo_O

Don't like the 3 vivid colors with the beautiful tan leather

The indices and second hand is tan (walnut color).... :)

I actually find the 3 vivid colors watchface to be great and one of the main draw to WatchOS3.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I have the black, storm grey and marine blue classic 3rd gen straps. Got them all new from an eBay seller for a great price. All genuine. Sadly he's not had a saddle brown for sale.... really want one!

pcall1128

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2015
Pennsylvania
Has anyone changed the adapters on a Classic Buckle band? I'm thinking of changing the Stainless Steel adapters to a Black adapter on my Apple Watch since I have a Space Black. So far I've gather that I would need the following items:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BUWKEY8/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2Y6C121GK62WX
https://www.kctoolco.com/wiha-26762-pl2-ipr2-ts2-precision-pentalobe-screwdriver/
I've changed the adapters on a Toms band I had, but it should be the same no matter the band. Just be VERY careful when you unscrew/screw because those tiny things strip really easily! Also, get some loc tite and dip the ends of the screws in before you fasten them in.

JSway

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
I've changed the adapters on a Toms band I had, but it should be the same no matter the band. Just be VERY careful when you unscrew/screw because those tiny things strip really easily! Also, get some loc tite and dip the ends of the screws in before you fasten them in.

That's what I'm afraid of, stripping the screws. Hmm didn't think about that, good suggestion!

I just want my Sea Blue buckle to look nice with my Space Black watch.

pcall1128

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2015
Pennsylvania
That's what I'm afraid of, stripping the screws. Hmm didn't think about that, good suggestion!

I just want my Sea Blue buckle to look nice with my Space Black watch.
Please post pics when you're finished! That's going to look sick.

You probably won't have any issues with putting the band on the new amazon adapters; it's the apple ones you have to be careful with. When you unscrew them, be careful not to force/press hard on the pentalobe driver. It's kind of like a "gently press and turn" kind of thing. Keep applying just enough force to keep the driver placed in the screw. If you do strip the screws, like I did:), I used a pair of wire cutters to cut the band off of the bar.

Hope it goes well, good luck!

JSway

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Please post pics when you're finished! That's going to look sick.

You probably won't have any issues with putting the band on the new amazon adapters; it's the apple ones you have to be careful with. When you unscrew them, be careful not to force/press hard on the pentalobe driver. It's kind of like a "gently press and turn" kind of thing. Keep applying just enough force to keep the driver placed in the screw. If you do strip the screws, like I did:), I used a pair of wire cutters to cut the band off of the bar.

Hope it goes well, good luck!

Thank you thank you for the advice! Extremely helpful, I feel a bit more confident now that I have some useful tips. I think the biggest thing is having the right screwdriver, and now that you mentioned, the proper way of unscrewing them. I think I will skip on the loc tite in case I want to go back to the Stainless Steel adapters for what ever reason, although it wouldn't be a big deal to break the Amazon $13 adapter.

pcall1128

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2015
Pennsylvania
Happy to help, there's another section of this forum on this topic too, if you need another source.
You can use Loctite even if you are going to be switching up again, but make sure to use the BLUE version. It will hold screws in place but not be impossible to undo if you decide to. Personally I would recommend using it as I've heard horror stories of people's adapters loosening and dropping the Watch. Any Home Depot or Loews will have it and it's not expensive.

Reactions: JSway

JSway

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Happy to help, there's another section of this forum on this topic too, if you need another source.
You can use Loctite even if you are going to be switching up again, but make sure to use the BLUE version. It will hold screws in place but not be impossible to undo if you decide to. Personally I would recommend using it as I've heard horror stories of people's adapters loosening and dropping the Watch. Any Home Depot or Loews will have it and it's not expensive.

Good call, I wouldn't want my Space Black breaking. I can't find the thread, do you have a link or topic name?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.