Classic CDs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by beautifulhealer, Mar 26, 2010.

1. beautifulhealer macrumors newbie

I have OS X and I just recently purchased and old game I used to play and when I put in the CD, I was told that it cannot open because Classic Environment is no longer supported. Is there a way I can get this to work or maybe a program that will install the classic version so I can use these CD's? Thanks in advance.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

3. beautifulhealer thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Under the :apple: menu in the upper left, the very first menu option is "About This Mac." Click on that. It will look something like the attached screenshot.

What version of OS X are you running and what does it say under Processor?

Attached Files:

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Intel Macs do not support Classic.

10.5 and 10.6+ do not support Classic.

6. beautifulhealer thread starter macrumors newbie

7. beautifulhealer thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured it didn't because its a newer computer. An older mac I had with OS X was able to switch but I don't see anything that will let this newer one do that. So is there nothing I can do to get these disks to work?

8. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Then the simple answer is no.

The Classic Environment is not supported on Intel Macs nor 10.5 or above.

You do have a couple options available to you, which would involve a bit of tinkering and technical knowledge. This will involve running a PowerPC emulator, such as SheepShaver or PearPC and an old copy of OS 9 or 10.4, with the Classic Environment. This will be neither quick, nor easy.

Just out of curiosity, what is the game?

9. beautifulhealer thread starter macrumors newbie

... ...Okay. All that seems a bit complicated but..time to get to work. Thanks.

Oh and the games are those old Dr. Brain games, "The Lost Mind of Dr. Brain" and "Time Warp of Dr. Brain." I WAS trying to show my son some of the games I used to play when I was around his age. I guess I went a little too far back eh? :eek:

10. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

LOL. Yah, a little bit. Believe it or not, it's actually easier to run old DOS and Windows games on an Intel Mac through Win98 on Parallels than it is to kick it old school, Mac style.

11. beautifulhealer thread starter macrumors newbie

Win98? Isn't there a program that let's you run that on mac OS X? I think it's called linux or something similar to that right?

Thanks

12. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

....As mentioned, that would be Parallels, or VM Fusion....

Linux is another operating system entirely, like Mac OS X or Windows. It has little to do with either one.

Ok, actually the OS is called GNU/Linux, and there is not just one distribution of it, there are zillions of them. But I subscribe to the view that "Linux" is a convenient shorthand for all of them.