Classic clearance MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SkylerXR, Nov 13, 2008.

1. SkylerXR macrumors newbie

Has anyone purchased a clearance classic MBP within the past 1~2 weeks? If so, when is your build date? You can find out by googling coconutidentitycard, it's a very small program that can tell you the exact build date.

What I'm trying to determine here is whether Apple is moving backwards in depleting their inventory according to the build dates. I know for sure that clearance models at the beginning of the new generation launch a month ago were built in late Sep early Oct.

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

mine is an eary 08' model (peryn)...it was built late 09/08. I bought it 10/18 and received it 10/23. i entered my serial on one of those websites that tells you when it was made and such.

3. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

wasn't it the late sept 08 mbp that have fixed gpus in them, omg i bought my classic mbp 10 days ago and am gonna see when it was built as soon as i get home.

4. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

mine was built between 11 august and 17 august, do yous know if this is in the safe date for mbps manufactured free of faulty gpus??

5. JC0205 macrumors newbie

Yes, it falls within the "likely to be defective" zone. Only MBPs made after Sept 2008, according to Apple, may not be affected.

6. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

argh, aint that a kick in the nuts, of well, i always run smcfancontrol on about 4000 to 4500 while playing games and this keeps it at 60 degrees celcius and only feels warm, not hot,
    omg i remember the first game i played with out fan control, my mbp was like a frying pan!!!
    im not to concerned about it at least the mbps made in august should be less defective than the ones made in july, am i right?

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Not to give a negative impression, but I really don't think that those made in August would be likely to be "less defective" that those made in July. The problem that existed was using parts that were used during a particular manufacturing period- and until the problem was identified and changes made, I would imagine all manufactured during the problem period would be equally in peril. Not to say that all made in that period would fail mind you--- just that all would basically have the same chance of failing.

That being said, keep in mind that any problems will be covered by warranty for one year from purchase and there is a pretty fair chance that problems would show up by them-- and if you purchase AppleCare with that year you will not have to worry about it for three years from date of purchase.

8. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

oh well its been working like a dream for me so far, about smcfancontrol, can you actually make the fan so fast that the gpu is to cold to run efficiently, cause have been playing the original neverwinter nights on my classic 2.4ghz mbp and the game runs smoothly when the settings are maxed out, and blocky when the settings are on low,
    i run the fan continuously on 4500 for both left and right fan and after playing the game for 40 mins with everything maxed out the temp was 56 degrees Celsius when i went onto the desktop,
    if someone could give me a few pointers on how to use smcfancontrol better that would be very helpful

9. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Great, the GPU in my Classic MBP appears to be from the affected period...

If it is weak, I would prefer to put it through the paces and if it breaks, Apple should fix it. Why try to protect it from heat and coddle it so it lasts longer increasing the likelihood of breaking outside of the warranty period (which I've heard has been extended to 2 years for this particular issue if you have one of the affected GPUs)? If its weak and going to break, I want it to break asap. I don't want a machine that I have to permanently hope won't break.

10. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

lol i have apple care so i have like 2 years 11 and a half months left for it to break, i just use fan control so it doesnt turn into a frying pan while playing a game

11. SkylerXR thread starter macrumors newbie

Anybody else wanna contribute to the build date collection? :)

12. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

still no evidence....

Oddly my refurb was built in October according to those websites and Apple told me also the 41st week. But they didn't tell me anything to make me believe the GPU is okay.

13. SkylerXR thread starter macrumors newbie

That's very interesting, it's hard to see how your unit can possibly be "refurbished" having only been built in the 41st week. Did it come in a sealed normal MBP box or just a brown box?

14. Mac4L1ph3 macrumors newbie

well I came here with the same question...found this thread purely by accident...perhaps you could change/update your thread title

15. amorican macrumors member

amorican

I bought my MBP Classic earlier this week. The build date is between 9/22-9/28 in Shanghai. Sounds like I should be safe from the GPU failure?

I sure hope so. It took 4 MBP's for me to get one without a screen issue of some sort. I was about to give up on my first venture into the world of
    Apple, but finally I found a good one.