Classic environment is no longer supported

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scissorband, Aug 25, 2010.

1. scissorband macrumors member

When I try to run a game on a CD from 1995, I get this error:
    Code:
    You can't open the application Connections because the Classic environment is no longer supported.
    In General Info it says the Application is Classic.

How can I make this run in Snow Leopard?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The Classic Environment has been removed from all Intel Mac OS versions since 2006, maybe you still have access to on an older PowerPC?

Otherwise, look for "classic on intel chubby bunny" via the search engine of your choice, but make sure, that that game runs on Mac OS 9.

3. scissorband thread starter macrumors member

System Requirements:
    Win 3.1/95, 486/33 or higher processor, 8MB RAM, 2 x CD-ROM, hard drive, windows compatible sound card, mouse, VGA display (256 colors), MS-DOS or PC-DOS operating system version 3.1 or later, CD-ROM extensions (MSCDEX) version 2.2 or later.

Macintosh Performa, Centris, Quadra or Power Mac series with a 68040 processor or better, System 7.0 or later, 2 x CD-ROM drive, 8MB RAM, 640x480 display color monitor with at least 256 colors.

What do I need for this?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you want to go the Mac OS X route, read the first two replies, one contains a hint on what to search, the other reply contains two links to similar minded threads.

If you want to go the Windows route, you might be able to run Windows 95 as a Virtual Machine (VM) in Virtual Box or use Windows XP SP3 as a VM or use Boot Camp to run Windows.

5. scissorband thread starter macrumors member

I got the Sheep thing working and I copied over the .dmg of the game to the Desktop area of OS 9 but it couldn't mount it because it says:

Code:
    The Mount Image operation did not complete. (-8816)
    The file "c.dmg" does not have a recognized file type.

So I got some Virtual DVD-ROM/CD Utility for OS 9 on here, and the option there is to 'Mount Toast .ati file as Virtual DVD-ROM'. Well I used it to mount the .dmg file, but now it says:

Code:
    There are insufficient system resources to mount this image.

I looked on Google for this exact error message, and there are 0 results for it.

What gives? I have 4GB of RAM

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

DMGs don't work with Mac OS 9 or earlier. Just copy the contents of the DMG into a folder and try to get that folder into Mac OS 9 and see if that works.

Btw, Mac OS 9 doesn't take advantage of your 4GB of RAM, as it was never programmed to do so, especially in a virtual environment. Most likely the VM is limited to 128MB RAM anyway.

Open the Apple System Profiler and take a look at Memory Overview.

[​IMG]

7. scissorband thread starter macrumors member

Ah, it has 256MB of RAM. I copied the entire contents of the CD to my Desktop and tried to run the program, but the program tells me to insert the disk, wait for it to mount, then click Ok or whatever.

How do I get it to recognize a CD I put into my MacBook Pro?

Or is there an alternative I can still use to mount an image on the OS 9 VM