Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lools

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
Hi guys. Mac beginner here who's trying to play some really old games that I just to play as a kid. The moment I put the game in and try to start it this message pops up. I've tried reading about it on this forum but could not fully understand what I have to do.
I'm currently using a macbook, 3 years old (if that's helpful to know) and the game is about 14-15 years old however compatible for mac.
I looked up some system req for this game and again not sure if this will be helpful but here it is.
Macintosh Power PC; 12 MB RAM, 20 MB på harddrive; System 7.1; 640 x 480 pixel color screen (thousands color); CD-ROM-player with double speed.

Do I have to completely change my systems for my macbook in order to do this or how far will I need to go to open the games?

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
The only way would be an older Mac. Classic hasn’t been supported for years (I think since 2001) and I don’t know if there is a way to get it working on any Intel system. The game you are talking about might not even run on OS9 which is the very last OS you could run in Classic OS.

There is no OS that your computer could run (it would have to be Tiger and on a different platform) to run Classic and even then there is no guarantee the game would work.

MAH11

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2010
Try a Mac Emulator

You should be able to play the game on a Mac emulator. I needed to run a very old Mac program, Claris CAD, on Mavericks. I installed BasiliskII rather easily, and everything worked fine. I think I downloaded it from http://basilisk.cebix.net.

Melissa

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I honestly forgot about Basilisk, however it should be pointed out that you do need a copy of MacOs and ROM. I think the OS is freely available still, but I have no idea how to legally get the ROM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.