Classic Gaming on VMWare Fusion.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by TSE, Sep 17, 2012.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

On Parallels 7 and 8, if you install Windows 95, 98, or 98SE, sound is not supported and it is overall kind of slow for classic gaming.

Does the newest version of VMWare Fusion support sound with a DOS-Based Windows version?

Preferably want an answer from someone with firsthand experience. Thank you!

2. h3blade macrumors newbie

if you want to run DOS games, you can install dosbox, it does have sound support for dos gaming under win7 32bit.
    win7 will also support games that runs under win98 if you right click on the applicaton .exe files and check compatible options

3. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I have used DOSBox for awhile and it works awesome but what I'm more concerned about are the games that are made for DOS Based Windows, not necessarily DOS Based games that won't run on NT-Based Windows without installing third party add-ons or hacks.

Should have clarified. Thanks, however.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hmm. 95 and 98 are both "supported" under Fusion 4 but I can't find any information on whether that includes sound. Unfortunately I don't have access to a Windows 9x CD at the moment so I can't test it, but I seem to recall that I've had sound working in the past.

It might be easiest to download the VMware trial and see firsthand whether it works or not.