Classic Intel Mac needs help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by comda, Sep 16, 2015.

1. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Greetings!

A few weeks ago i posted about my macbook 3,1 and snow leopard etc. I was suggested a format reload aswell as zeroing out the SSD. I planned on doing it this weekend after the first week of school. I attended classes last night and had 3 documents saved on the second partition. I just went to save another and noticed the folder is empty. When i opened office and tried to get the file from open recents it states it cannot find the file. Is my SSD defective now?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It is definitely a possibility though if you were messing with the partition map you may of corrupted the second partition. Another thing is that some SSDs have buggy firmwares when TRIM is enabled under OS X.

3. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

well i havnt messed with the partition tables since i installed windows 7 last year on the thing. I have a 3rd party app running trim on it but the folder with my notes is there its just empty..

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is a typical sign of corruption.

5. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

So would you say this is a drive failure or just a glitch? i was going to zero out the drive this week. I have all my stuff off it minus the 3 documents i lost...

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Could be either to be honest. SSDs generally fail in their entirety when the controllers go out.

7. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

Well im going to do a checkdisk on windows but what about snow leopard?

8. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

So i did check disk on the windows drive (untitled) and the extra drive (extra) and 0kb in errors and then did verify disk and mac osx said the disk was ok. So why is the folder that was on tuesday filled with 3 folders and 3 documents now currupted?

Attached Files:

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

There could of been an error putting data into that directory that corrupted it. Office has corrupted documents that exact same way on me.

10. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

I used office 2008 once, it ate all of my ram, ALL of it. I switched to Pages and never looked back *ducks*

11. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

Well i thought it was office too. But not only did the 3 docx files from office disappear their respected folders did as well. I called Kingston support after i ran tests using the Kingston tool. The tool wouldnt finish the lengthy test and i tried 3 times. All 3 went to about 50-60% before aborting themselves for errors. I was wondering if anyone has anyway of recovering that folder. Although now OSX sees it as a terminal file. SO is there any chance of getting that back?

In the mean time, im still using my macbook thanks to my 100GB sata drive i was using to test Lion and Mountain lion, while kingston prepares my warranty and ships me a new drive ;)