Classic mac to go with new one.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yoyo5280, Jan 31, 2009.

1. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Hey!

my dad says he is going to buy the iMac (finally) what an updated one comes out to replace our bottom of the line g4 mac mini.

This is great and means that I no longer have to save for a laptop. However I would still like one.

Now that we will have a desktop with lots of processing power, at home I was thinking maybe I could use my money earned to just buy a very very cheap classic mac laptop that I could use for basic stuff like school work. (I want a laptop so I can use mac for my IT project at school, where there is only mac).

Two laptops I love design wise are the Clamshell iBooks and the 12" Powerbook but like typical apple products they retain their value and on the internet seem to cost a bomb.

What is a laptop with very basic specs (as long as it can do email, iwork, and itunes) with wifi for a decent price?

Also where can I find used macs in tokyo?

Thanks

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Do you want a full laptop, or a netbook? If you've got a good desktop at home, I would think about something like the MSI Wind. It's a great little computer, and you can run OSX on it without much trouble.

It would help to know your budget, too. Refurb plastic MacBooks start at $850... used MacBooks will be even cheaper.

3. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Nice! I am looking at the black/white one. It is a great price...about the same as a 12"powerbook :eek:!

Still are there any other cheaper netbooks that can run mac os?

how difficult is installing mac os on a netbook, I have read multiple guides but... is it reliable? Will updates break it? Can I have dual boot?

**UPDATE** how will the HP mini bottom of the line with 8gb HD work with os x and an external HD?

**UPDATE2** I found a chart of netbooks that tun OS x an only the Dell Mini 9 and MSI wind run os x without a hitch.

4. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

12" Powerbook is a very desirable item, but a MacBook is more powerful and useful than it.

Especially with Snow Leopard round the corner.

5. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Yes, updates can break the install. I would recommend looking at refurb MacBooks (white/black ones), they are rather comparable and are still rather modern machines.

6. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I know its difficult but i don't want to go over $500 ish :(

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Hmm isn't someone selling a 12" PB for $500 over on the marketplace forum? ;) I'd get it myself if budgets weren't so tight these days.

8. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I so want to but I would prefer not to buy over the web. :(

is that much for an old machine a rip off?

9. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

For a 12" PB, pretty much but it is a standard price. For $300 more you can get a like new rather modern MacBook.

A PowerBook is a dead end (no SL support) and most likely will die on you within the next few years. My 5 year old PowerBook moves insanely slow compared to my MacBook.

A MacBook on the other hand will be supported by Apple for years to come and you can still get AppleCare for it.

10. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

300 for a 14/15 year old can make a hell of a difference.

I know the feeling. My 1.25GHz mini chugs comparing to my moms macbook.

So even just as a basic iWork and internet machine don't get anything less than an intel?

11. macJC50640 macrumors regular

It depends what you want to do with it. If you want to keep up to date with the latest software and os then nothing less than intel. If you just want to keep the os and use it for basic needs (like you said) than you can get a PowerPC. G4 is the oldest processor that will run Leopard. G3 will only go up to Tiger. Of course SL will only support intel macs. :mad::(

This thread reminds me of when I bought my snow iBook G3. I only payed $40 for it! I use it to this day for basic schoolwork, and the specs are in my signature. Its a fine machine for basic stuff. :)

12. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Only 40$!~~ where did you buy it!?

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I would get a Sony P if you have the money. Reasonable hard drive space and very stylish. Or maybe an MSI Wind/Dell Mini (maybe the Dell Studio series?)/ or the Lenovo S10.

14. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Sony P is nice but the adverts in the train stations annoy me~! :p
    if I am going to get anything in the price range its a white book.

looked at Wind and Mini but i'm afraid of the costs to installing Mac OS, even though they are apparently fully compatible.

15. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Can't you just use Windows XP? To install OS X on the Wind or Mini, it just takes a Leopard disc, some time and patience (finding drivers, worrying about any updates bricking the netbook, etc).

16. ViM macrumors regular

If you're using the laptop for serious stuff I would get a real mac rather than a netbook with os x on it. From the wind angle (I have one), there are additional costs.

Firstly if your school use wpa encryption u need to get a replacement wireless card as the inbuilt realtek utility doesn't have many forms of encryption. Secondly you would buy a copy of leopard for piece of mind for eula and cos we don't condone piracy at macrumors. This ultimately leaves the netbook at an equivalent price with a powerbook. However if you can get by using the computers at school i would wait and save up for a refurbished macbook/ netbook with ion platform for better compatibility with snow leopard.

17. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I honestly can't and hate using windows xp. we have it at school but most of the staff and students have mac at home. so usually I ask if I can do computer tasks for homework.

I will never use a windows machine (anymore) at home.

Like i said in OP, the iMac at home will be used for more heavy stuff (graphic design, movies, too much skype) while I just want another computer to use for basic email and school work.

the absolute requirements are Wifi (that obviously rules out the wind now :p) and ability to run iWork 06/08, adium/skype, flock/safari, iTunes. That is it

If I run into a good deal (like a $40 iBook) should I just snag. It will also get me into mac collecting.

I don't think i'm likely to find one though. The mac classic at a shop near me is going for about 6,000Y which is pretty much 60 bucks! WOW

18. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

The MSI Wind and Dell Mini are fully compatible with OS X, and updates havent broken it so far.

19. macJC50640 macrumors regular

Haha, I bought it from my spanish teacher. He has an iMac G4 flowerpot as his main machine at home and he is thinking about getting the unibody too. So, he diddn't need it anymore. There are problems, though.
    -Battery doesn't hold a charge anymore
    -Shift key broken (not the one I use anyway)
    Not really a big deal