Classic Macbook Pro power button help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Theclamshell, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

Hey all,

I am helping a friend with his broken macbook pro. He would have to press the edge of the power button a couple of times to get the machine to turn on. I took the top case off and fiddled with the power button and put it back on. The power button does not even work now so the machine will not turn on.

I tried to turn the machine on by grounding the pins on the motherboard and that worked fine. Is it possible for a power button to die? I don't think it is the top case itself because the keyboard and mouse work fine but the power button does not work.

I want to have him order a new one because i think that will fix it but I wanted a second opinion as to whether a new power button will fix it or not.

2. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Power buttons are fairly cheap, so I would go that route and attempt to fix that before anything else.

Don't you hate when something broke, breaks more?

3. Theclamshell thread starter macrumors 68030

Alright. I'll see what happens. Now he wants me to reimburse him some for the power button if it doesn't work. last time I try to help someone. I saved him like a 100 dollar fee from the apple service center but since something went wrong while in my possession I am being blamed.

I am hoping its just the power button since it turns on when grounding the motherboard. I will reimburce him if its not the power button because it started happening after it was in my possession but it's still annoying.

4. ERIC273 macrumors 6502

5. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

Well it kind of is your fault to be honest. He could at least get it to turn on before, whereas now he can't even do that without opening the computer... Even though you did it with good intent, you still caused the problem to worsen to a level that needed fixing, so it's only fair that you reimburse him.

6. Theclamshell thread starter macrumors 68030

Yes, you are correct. I am just mad at myself to be honest. Not a big deal though. It's a 20 dollar part and I think it will fix the problem. :)

----------

I can't. The laptop is in his possession now and will be for a while.

7. FreyGrimrod macrumors newbie

Where can you order a power button for a 2010 mbp? I have only been able to find them with a full top case...

8. Theclamshell thread starter macrumors 68030

I am not sure for the unibody ones. This one is a classic.

9. FreyGrimrod macrumors newbie