Classic MacBook Pro Serious Battery Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iLLucionist, Dec 18, 2009.

1. iLLucionist macrumors regular

My classic MacBook Pro (4,1) is having battery issues. Age of my mac is 20 months, health is around 50% and the load cycle count is not being updated after a full recharge.

(1) When I unplug the adapter, often the health pops up from 50% to 70-75%, but when it's nearly drained it's cut back to 50-55 again %.

(2) When it states that it's fully charged, the load cycle is not increased, it is stuck at 175 since the last 30-31 charges (I really counted this).

(3) The f**kers at my "genius bar" don't have a clue, but they never have any clue. Probably they don't know what the word "forum" means since when you're at a "genius bar" you've become a deity, at least that counts for my mac store back in Groningen, The Netherlands.

So there it is: does anyone have any clue what might be possibly going on with my battery?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. iLLucionist thread starter macrumors regular

Every month. Full charge –> full emtpy –> 5 hours rest or till indicator LED out, which means fully drained –> full recharge without using.

I take these things very serious, I even did it on a friday or saturday, minimizing the difference between calibrating.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The cycle count doesn't change upon being fully charged. It changes when you have gone through a full discharge cycle. If you have gone through full cycles and you've calibrated properly and the count still hasn't changed, I'd suspect a defective battery. If you have the option, I'd try going to a different Genius Bar or going to the same one on a different day to get another person. If you keep trying, you might get someone who would replace it.
    It's OK to use your computer when it's discharging and when it's charging. It won't affect the calibration process.

5. drossad macrumors regular

You have a defective battery as per the standards set by Apple on their website. Your battery should stay above 80% until after you have passed 300 cycles. Since you have been calibrating your battery correctly and still there is no change, they should replace it IF you have Applecare. If you don't then you are out of luck.

My suggestion if you have Applecare:

- get screen shots of your battery cycles and charge capacity (with the date in the shot as well) so you can prove your issue is real.
    - Call Applecare and tell them your issue
    - First person you talk to will try and convince you that it is 300 cycles -or- 1 year. This is not correct and there is nothing stating a "one year battery warranty" to support it on their website. So, ask them to prove it by giving you web links to look at while on the phone. They cannot. (The first link I was given only inferred that the battery should have full capacity for 1 year. No definitive warranty statement. Second link clearly stated that your battery is under warranty for 1 year, unless you buy Applecare, then it is covered for 3 years)
    - Always be polite, but don't back down if they cannot prove it.
    - They will then transfer you to the "Replacements Department" (or something like that).
    - Explain your issue again
    - They should send you a new battery no problem.

I just did this 2 weeks ago. Battery arrived the next day. Awesome.

If you call them, let me know how it goes.