Classic Mail FTW

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by LostJohn, Nov 10, 2013.

1. LostJohn macrumors member

Just realized something. I always felt there was something "off" about Apple Mail in recent years, and the other night I accidentally discovered the classic viewing mode for my inbox. It's like some subconscious thing that has been bothering me for the longest time is finally corrected. Classic mail view is so much better.

It's so much easier to visually scan and process the inbox in classic view mode. In the newer view, you have to read top to bottom, then jump to the right, then read top to bottom, etc. etc. Just worse all-around. Anyone else feel the same way?

2. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

Nope, just the opposite. I've never liked that layout on any mail client, but at least there's the option to view it either way.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I've had Mail set up in "Classic" view since NeXTSTEP 0.89A and that's the way I like it, dammit.

4. Michael Goff, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Well, that was fun.

I went to go look at what classic view looks like, and now my preview panel is all messed up. -_- I can't make it any larger, it's so tiny. And it stays that size regardless of how big the window is.

Edit: Actually, no, it'll get smaller. It just won't get bigger to fill the gray space.

Edit 2: I managed to fix it by exiting it and opening it up again. Is this a known bug?

5. kolax macrumors G3

I've always used the classic look. Gave the horizontal one a good bash because it does look nicer, but functionally just no good.

6. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

Don't know, but it happened to me too. I had to close out Mail as well.

7. TheyCallMeBT macrumors member

I didn't know about this mode. But I like the newer version that shows three panes, versus the one that lists all emails on the top half, and then the email on the bottom half. Is the latter the way the classic mail preference looks? I haven't updated to Mavericks yet.