Classic MBP a good buy? or current MB??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GeorgeD, Jan 14, 2009.

1. GeorgeD macrumors member

I was actually planning to buy the current MB today but after some thought, I decided to consider the Classic MBP again. Should I really be worried about the "faulty GPU"? As a college student, I am going to be using my laptop for internet, papers, FCE, and maybe some gaming. Any help is appreciated!!!! =)

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

My sister got one of the 2.5GHz previous gen MBP's a few months ago, and its a screamer. It feels a good bit quicker than my 2.16GHz anyhow. Apple has admitted the GPU's are faulty, and buying Applecare should be a no-brainer no matter which portable you get. I've not used a current MacBook, but if you're into the larger screen I'd definitely say its a great option. If it were me, I'd go with the Pro any day.

3. GeorgeD thread starter macrumors member

is it safe to say the Classic MBP would last me 4 years? Or is it safer to say the current MB would last that long?

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

It would help to know what you're using it for....:rolleyes:

5. GeorgeD thread starter macrumors member

i did

6. GeorgeD thread starter macrumors member

there is also a chance i will be using it to record samples of music with pro tools or logic

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Oh. :eek: It still depends on how much of a need for speed you have. Maybe three or four years.

8. MidwestStuck macrumors member

The new MBPs also have reported problems with their GPUs. I have an early 2008 MBP, and it's worked pretty well so far (except a slight scrolling distortion problem that I'm gonna have checked at my local Apple Store tomorrow). Keep in mind that the older MBP models have FireWire 400 and DVI ports.

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

But that seems to be driver related, not hardware related (like the 8600m). Plus, CUDA was introduced with the 8800, thus the previous generation MBP probably won't see any benefit from OpenCL like the 9400m MB/MBP will.

10. kousuke18 macrumors regular

CUDA is compatible with all G8X desktop/mobile gpu's... only reason it may not have been compatible on mobile gpu's was because there was no driver support for it; but that has changed now.

11. GeorgeD thread starter macrumors member

I am leaning toward the Classic MBP. I hope it's the right decision! :confused:

12. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Hmm. This press release from NVidia suggests it was introduced with the 8800 series. Is this not correct?

13. kousuke18 macrumors regular

14. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

go Classic MBP its way better than a current MB. Save that money for when the new processors come out and and they have much bigger solid drives, on the new mbp's i mean

15. GeorgeD thread starter macrumors member

So I just called my college and they only have the 2.5 GHz Classic MBP with AppleCare for $1549. What do you guys think? good??

16. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

get the new one, no questions asked. :)

17. kousuke18 macrumors regular

Okay to the OP. It is portability/design vs usability/functionality. If you like the unibody design and want a slightly more portable machine, then go with the unibody macbook. On the other hand, if you want the extra screen space, higher resolution, more connectivity, faster cpu/video card, then get the classic macbook pro. The decision is yours. ;)

$1549 for the classic macbook pro /w applecare is a pretty good deal but you might be able to get it for cheaper on ebay.

18. MidwestStuck macrumors member

IMO, that's a superb deal. If you were to get the new entry-level MBP that would set you back $1700 or so (tax not included and no AppleCare). If you happen to get a MBP with a faulty GPU you can always have it replaced. Depending on the problem, Apple may even hook you up with a new MBP. Go for it!

EDIT: $1700 or so with the education discount

19. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, I purchased the MBP MB134LL/A 2.5GHz, 2GB, 250GB for $1399 + AppleCare $239 = $1638 + plus 8.75% tax = $1782 OTD...:cool: