Classic MBP Going to be Worth More?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DTF, Jun 19, 2012.

1. DTF macrumors member

Apple is referring to the retina MBP as the "Next Generation" Macbook. It certainly looks like the days are now numbered on how much longer we'll have to choose a Macbook that is upgradeable and even repairable. If it looks like this turns out to be the case is the classic MBP going to command a higher than normal price on the used market when they are no longer available?

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

perhaps, i know thats why i chose to buy the new non-ret MBP because of its upgradeability.

3. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I'd say it depends. If the Retina is built to typically Apple specs there won't be many issues once the initial ones get worked out. Typically with computer parts if they live through the first two years they will live for longer than their useful life. Ram should be fine, its old tech. The SSD is where I question things but not much. It's built on the proven Samsung platform by reshaped for Apples use. The screen is another. Thats new tech, who knows how well it will age. It boils down to how many issues it has as it ages. Any issue is going to be an expensive. If it turns out to be a problematic expensive to repair machine, then yes I could see the classic being more desirable. But I don' see that happening.

4. spdntrxi macrumors regular

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

Given that there are likely to be somewhere in the triple digit millions it's highly unlikely.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

No. Apple makes their money on brand image, no one will want an outdated model. Plus, by the time it would be "worth more", the newest MBPR would probably have better or equal specs to what you could upgrade that one to.

7. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

No I don't think so! You should get what you need/want. Don't worry too much about the resell value :)

I'd recommend the new MacBook Pro with Retina Display :D Mine arrived yesterday and the screen is just amazing! I couldn't be happier. I compared to my old 15-inch (2011 model) and I will never go back :apple:

The only down side is that I have to wait for most apps to update for the Retina display. No big deal :)

8. 7even macrumors 6502a

Exactly, buy for yourself, not the guy/girl after you :)

9. coolguy$$$ macrumors member

They are starting to fade out older Mac models similar to older iPhones. It has already started with PowerNap. Future OS X will have many new features that are only compatible with Next Gen Macbook Pros.

10. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

11. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

No, it`s a computer and Apple have produced millions :p

12. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

Nope. The classic will obsolete along with other laptops due to the video card or processor and 8 GBs RAM will remain more than enough for the majority of people.

13. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

I'm with this guy. They're extraordinarily popular notebooks, I would hate to need to resell one. And if all the internet wizards are right, and these HiDPI screens are the future for portable computers, it will be even harder to sell, I would think.

14. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Hahaha no. It's not like they only made one or two- they produced thousands of the things.

15. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

Wishful thinking. What ever Apple releases next year and the year after that will continually drive down the predecessor's price. Realistically, not many people upgrade their laptops, they simply buy new ones - or max out the system from Day 1. Apple is taking advantage of that fact by making their products even more desirable from the design aspect.

I bet every manufacturer will soon do the same. They've been too afraid to cross that line so far.