Classic MBP or New One? $ not an issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blaklaybul, Oct 27, 2008.

1. blaklaybul macrumors regular

blaklaybul

I have a Macbook Pro that I bought in September of 2007. It is 2.4, 2GB Ram, and 160GB HardDrive. I do use Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Lightroom, iMovie, Garageband, and other intensive programs. many times I max out my Ram and my computer gets sluggish. My computer went in for a repair in which they replaced the display. Other than that my computer is pretty much in perfect condition.

My mother's company has offered to get her a new computer for her job. My mom is not tech savvy so she said that I could tell her which computer to get and she would give it to me and I would give her my machine.

I am tempted to get the new MBp 2.8, 4GB, 320 GB, but I am concerned that since this is a Rev. A machine, I may get stuck with a problem that I do not have on my current computer.

A decision needs to be made by the end of the week...
    What do you think?

2. 4fingered macrumors member

I would say go with the new machine. From the sounds of it the machine will be quite future proof if apple releases the correct updates. In the future I would assume we will be able to use 8gig of ram and both video cards at the same time. The older computer is good but it's on DDR2 and saying that you use ram intensive software makes me want to suggest the DDR3. as far as bugs go I would think it's a bit to early to tell but most people seem to be wrinkle free.

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I honestly think you are asking a nebulous question, and will get a plethora of highly opinionated responses with little constructive information.

If you are really in need of speed over "anything else", I would look into the 2.8, but it all depends on what you are really needing.

Both models have their benefits, and drawbacks. If you don't mind Glossy only, and the color combinations (the later being mostly an opinion on aesthetics), then I would go for the new one because the few ounces more performance it will offer.

[​IMG]

4. blaklaybul thread starter macrumors regular

blaklaybul

Thanks Quadra.

...would upgrading my current machine to 4gb Ram make speed increases comparable to the new MBP?

5. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

User interface

I will suggest something that many people will probably disagree with.....

Find a friend who has the later versions of the old MBP. Then ask him or her to go with you to an Apple store. Play around with both of the machines side by side. Whichever one gives you the best user experience, go with that.

Really, this is probably what you will notice most.

6. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I would not hesitate to go for the new one. Upgrading to 4GB would definitely give your current MBP a boost, but from what I have read the new 2.8 GHz machine is noticeably faster. I would go for the new 2.8GHz MBP without blinking. If you happen to encounter any problems, Apple will fix them. If you get AppleCare with the purchase, there's nothing to worry about for 3 years.

7. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

8. timish macrumors regular

Who cares, the guy asked for advice.

This isn't "moralrumors.com"

Geez. :confused:

9. Skyldig macrumors regular

Hehe. It would be an interresting site though... ;)

/ontopic

It seems that there is almost no Rev. A issues discovered this far. Even though the new MBP has some issues (screen flicker, loose battery cover ect.), it's not much worse than the old MBP, which also had some problems even in it's latest revisions. Therefore I wouldn't say the issues are caused by this being a Rev. A machine, but rather by the fact that no computer is ever perfect.

In addition to the speed boost in the new MBP, you also get a computer that apparently is more solidly build, wich in the long run will lead to fewer exterior and asthetic defects. Also it seems to run a bit cooler than the old one, and offer a few nice surprises such as increased perfomance of the speakers.

If you can live with the glassy screens and like the Alu/black theme, then I think the new MBP would be the best choise for you. You also have to think about if you can live with only one FW port and if you like or dislike the new trackpad (wich is really hard to do without trying it in person).
    The new MBP has undeniable perfomance advantages compared to the old MBP, and if the price is not even a factor in your decision, and the things above doesn't bother you, the new MBP seems like a clear winner.