Classic MBP with Retina screens

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UBS28, Jun 2, 2013.

1. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

I already got a 500 gb SSD in my current MBP. Now with the Haswell rMBP, I have order an other 500 gb SSD from Apple (instead of going with the base model and then swapping the SSD with my own).

My current RAM has lifetime warranty and my SSD has 5 year warranty, unlike the 1-year warranty that Apple offers which is terrible service.

Let's hope the regular MBP gets updated with retina screens because I don't feel like sacrificing upgradability for a thinner MBP, due to bad warranty and price from Apple (besides that I already got a SSD)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can't see apple giving the cMBP a retina screen. I think they'll either leave the cMBP alone, or kill it outright and stick with the rMBP (maybe with a few more options).

The optical drive is on its way out, apple sells MBA, Minis and iMacs w/o the optical drive. Its only a matter of time before the MBP loses it complete.

Apple also seems to like the idea of soldering on the RAM and using its own proprietary SSD modules, so that may be a portend of the future as well.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I can see the product names:

Macbook Pro with Retina Display! (rMBP)
    Macbook Pro. Also with Retina Display! (cMBP)

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

As Maflynn says, I can't see a retina version of the cMBP - what would be the point? The cMBP will probably continue with just minor spec bumps until the price of the rMBP comes down to match it.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

15" Macbook Pro: 78wh battery

15" Retina MBP: 95wh battery

To get the same battery life, the retina version has a ~25% larger battery.