Classic or Touch?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TimJim, Sep 5, 2007.

1. TimJim macrumors 6502a

ok im deciding between the 80 GB Classic and the 16 GB Touch. My iTunes library is small, 7 gigs and my iphoto library is 2.

thats 9 gigs gone but the reason im thinking about the classic is i have a 20 gig movie library. now i dont need every single movie maybe just like 4 at a time which would probobly be around 2 gigs.

so my options are. Spend less and have all my movies with the Classic. or spend more and get the Touch with WiFi and all that.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I think the Touch is for you, if movies are the deciding factor, because they just look better on a bigger screen. I for one am waiting until the Touch goes 32GB to switch from my 3G.

3. spyderracer393 macrumors regular

and I am waiting until it is 128GB until I upgrade from my 10gb 2G. :D I was really hoping it would have an HD so I could carry everything with me...though hopefully it flash memory will continue becoming cheap and in a year it will have four times, or maybe more, than the current capacity on the touch.

4. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

no doubt...go with the touch

EDIT: Only if you don't have an iPhone. Now that I think about it and have watched the keynote, I'm not a big fan of the touch...but to each his own.

5. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

Personally i'm seriously considering a 160 gb Classic, the higher capacity means i can finally have just one iPod instead of two, as much as i'd really love to have a touch, it essentially just does the same as a iPhone so can't really jusify getting both if they do the same thing, so will probably get the classic and wait for the iPhone - which i should get for a discounted price if i get the job at Apple i'm going for!

Though saying that, my credit history pretty bad atm so doubt i could get a iPhone on contract, so maybe a touch is in order after all... hmmm

6. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i'd go for touch.

you have to decide which is more important to you: having your entire media library at your fingertips or having the latest technology.

7. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Calk up another vote for Touch.

Too cool to not have if you're in the market for an iPod anyway.

8. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Yes, Mr. Steve sure pulled out the stops and made some tasty options for us today. As for, I'm looking at a 160GB Classic in the short term and then an iPhone around the holidays. I also wish there were a 160GB iPod Touch to be had. Dang!

9. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I'm going for the 160 Classic. 100% Definitely.

This would satisfy my entire iTunes library, all my photos, and I'd still have room to backup all my stuff.

That said, the iPod touch is way too cool to not have. So, I might need to get both. I have to ask myself when I'd use the iPod. Mostly, it's when I travel on business - maybe every 8 weeks or so. So do I really need all the backup when I have several computers and an external hard drive.

Then again, if I'm not using the iPod that much, maybe my 3rd generation 10GB iPod will do.

Arggggh. Such decisions. I have no clue what to do. Thanks a lot, Jobs.

10. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

If you're into movies then get the Touch, it will be far better to watch them on.

For me however I'm getting the Classic. I have a mega music library.

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

My 60Gig 5G is about full, and was hoping for the 160Gig iPod Touch, but can understand that Apple wants to go with flash memory for it...

How long before a 120 Gig model?

12. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Touch... it looks awesome. I'll be getting a 16 Gber when I save up enough $$$ again. That's an iPhone for the rest of us.

13. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I just ordered the 16gb touch. I have ~20gb library, but realistically I probably only listen to half that. In addition I had the 80 GB video, and thought to myself I really didnt need all that space. Sold it, got myself a 4gb nano and I'm doing alright. I dont understand why people are so persistant to have their entire library with them at all times. Also I had tons of movies on my 80gb ipod, but I only watched half of them, the other ones just stood there. I'll be happy with 10gb of music, 2gb of photos, and the other 2gb for movies, but most likely tv shows. The biggest selling factor was the wifi for me. It's gonna be great taking notes in class with it online with google docs. I cant wait! Also the iphone is great and all, but there is no way in hell I'll ever give up my blackberry.

14. uburoibob macrumors regular

15. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

16. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

If you take the iPhone out of the equation, the Touch has more room to grow. Having gone from a 60GB iPod to the 8GB iPhone, the transition to the smaller size wasn't really that painful. I had to actually pay attention to what I put on the thing again, which meant I wasn't hauling around the last two seasons of Lost anymore, but it wasn't a major loss. I even got a bit better at making playlists, which was a big plus, in my opinion.

As a bonus, if the iTunes WiFi app is any indication, the iPod touch will be getting some if not all of the future iPhone software upgrades, which the iPod classic would miss out on completely.

If the iPhone is a contender here, even a few months out, I'd say grab up a classic and dump everything on it. I keep my 60GB iPod handy when I want to play someone something that I just didn't have room for on my iPhone or if I want to output some video to the TV (which I don't think I could do on the iPhone, at least not before...):rolleyes: I wonder