Classic or Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by modelbehaviour, Aug 18, 2008.

1. modelbehaviour macrumors 6502

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me make the decision whether I buy a 16 or 32GB ipod touch or a 80GB classic?

At the moment I've got a 30GB video ipod, but my music collection is about 4GB so I don't need masses of storage and I only watch video podcasts rather than full length films/tv shows....though I might if I had the bigger screen. The wifi is the main thing that's making me want the touch but i'll be getting an 8GB iphone when it comes out on PAYG here around xmas time, so I'm thinking is it pointless having two devices that're relatively similar? I'm also pretty terrible at remembering to charge it as well so I'm wondering how long an ipod touch actually lasts in relation to the 30GB I have now? Thanks!

2. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

The Touch will have Better Battery life than your Video now, However The Classic will have far better battery life than the Touch. It seems that you like video and Wifi so the Touch would be better.

3. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I have an iPod touch and wouldn't trade it for anything. Great for videos, checking email, organizing my life. I have no need for carry gigs of music at one time so this was the best iPod for me. And now with game and other apps it's great.

4. godslabrat macrumors 6502

I have a Classic and it's absolutely perfect for me. My main concern was having way more space than I could ever use, because I often am away from the computer for days at a time, and like having lots of content at my disposal.

That said, with the advances being made in the Touch, the Classic has only two true advantages, assuming price is not a factor:

1) Massive, massive storage. If you can be 100% sure your needs will be less than 32GB, then the Touch is for you. If not, only the Classic can give you the space you need. If your Music collection is 4GB, think that a movie would be about 2GB and a season of a TV show is about 10-14GB. Consider your own personal habits, do the math, and decide for yourself.

2) Tactile interface. Very important if you like to jump to the next song or adjust the volume without looking at the iPod. With the Touch's screen, you can't feel for the buttons, kind of a drag if you're driving or working out. I know some Touch owners have adapted to this, but I still like the physical buttons. There are some workarounds, though-- new car stereos let you control the iPod through the console, and there are remote controls that can be purchased that plug into your headphones.

Do you need the space? Do you need physical controls? As a Classic user, I love my iPod, but your answer to both these questions is "No", then get the Touch and enjoy the Wifi

5. Shot22 macrumors regular

If you can frequently get Wi-Fi access, then go with the iPod touch. Even if you don't, the touch is great for the apps you can get.