Classic (OS 9), PageMaker 5, and Printing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Hoven, May 5, 2007.

1. Hoven macrumors regular

Hi all.
    Here's the scoop....
    I have a bunch of PageMaker 5 (PM5) documents on my old PowerMac running OS 9. However, I no longer have a color printer for that Mac.
    I also have a G4 eMac (w/OS X 10.4.9) with a Canon color MP460 (which is USB'ed to my eMac).

Ideally, I'd like to print to my MP460 from my old PowerMac, but there are no drivers for the MP460 for OS9. If there were options on the old Mac to print to PDF, I could xfer the pdf's over and print those... but I don't see that option anywhere.

So, I have copied PM5 from the PowerMac/G4 to the eMac along with one of the PM5 docs. Note, I only copied the App folder, nothing from the System Folder; I'd have no idea where to put extensions, etc in the eMac anyway.

Good News is... it opens in Classic!
    Bad News is.... I can't really edit the text boxes in the PM5 docs and they don't print.
    The first problem may be because I didn't do a "real" installation of PM5. I have the CD's and can try that.
    BUT...
    When I go to print, it shows my Canon color MP460, but there's a drop-down in the print dialog called TYPE. The only printers there are Apple Laserwriters.
    Am I running into the same print issues under Classic... that there are no drivers for my MP460?

Any advice would be great.
    Thanks!!

2. Since '76 macrumors member

If this is a one time need, Adobe has a free 30-day PageMaker 7.0 tryout on their website you could load on the eMac and open the 5.0 files for printing.

To create PDF's in PG5 I think you would need full version of Acrobate/Distiller, I think was 5.0 was the last version for OS 9.

3. Hoven thread starter macrumors regular

WHAT!?!! :eek:
    I had no idea that PageMaker was even still available.

Silly me. :eek:

I can't tell from the Adobe site if PM7 on OS X will open a PM 5 file from OS 9. I'll guess I'll download the demo version to check it out.

Thanks for that simple, elegant suggestion!