Classic os 9

Malus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
299
0
Hi, sorry for all the questions...but,

I just installed classic OS 9, and was wondering if its possible to change to os9 instead of osx format. Is there a way to see the desktop like it would be in os 9?? Thanks :)
 

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
1,136
0
Massachusetts, Connecticut
Malus said:
Hi, sorry for all the questions...but,

I just installed classic OS 9, and was wondering if its possible to change to os9 instead of osx format. Is there a way to see the desktop like it would be in os 9?? Thanks :)
OK. The first thing you need to know is that there's a difference between Classic and OS 9. OS 9 was the operating system that came before OS X. Early OS X machines could dual-boot in either OS X or OS 9. Classic, however, is merely a windowing environment that can run OS 9 applications. If you have a recent Mac (I'm assuming you do), you cannot boot in OS 9, but you can use Classic to run OS 9 applications. That's the long answer. The short answer is, sorry, nope. :)
 

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
10,648
29
USA
stridey said:
.... Classic, however, is merely a windowing environment that can run OS 9 applications. ...
Ah, no quite. To say that Classic is merely a windowing environment is to imply that it is somewhat like the X Windowing System or an alternative to Aqua. It is not. Classic is MacOS 9 running on top of MacOS X with some limitations. If your computer is MacOS 9-bootable, then Classic is the same software that MacOS 9 uses when it boots--with some differences. To most users, the major difference is that Classic uses the MacOS X Finder. To others, Classic has only limited access to hardware compared to MacOS 9. To still others, there are some software incompatibilities.
 

Nermal

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
18,787
1,244
New Zealand
stridey said:
If you have a recent Mac (I'm assuming you do), you cannot boot in OS 9, but you can use Classic to run OS 9 applications.
And if you have an older Mac, go to System Preferences > Startup Disk, and select the OS 9 folder.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.