Classic rMBP 13'' vs 15'' hesitation problem

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Fanthomas, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Fanthomas macrumors newbie

Hey you guys! I haven't post a lot here but it has always been a pleasure to read your advices and thus, I have a question for you.

I'm currently dealing with a Late 2011 13'' Macbook Pro and here are his specs:

MBP 13''

2,4 ghz Intel Core i5
    4 gb RAM
    Intel Graphics 3000

As a student who uses his computer a lot for anything from pretty casual HD video editing (I don't use special effects much) to some sporadic gaming frivolities (very few LoL and rarely WoW) I'm not having the fun I want with my actual computer and so I'm looking for a new laptop.

I'm kind of hesitating between models but I would like your advice on those specifically:

rMBP 13''

2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
    16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    128GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

rMMP 15''

2.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
    16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

Is the few hundreds bucks worth the shot? I would appreciate so much if you could share your thoughts on the matter. Don't be shy to elaborate! Thank you so much!

2. maplingstorie macrumors 6502

Considering your usage, the 13" is adequate. If money is of no concerned, take the 15" unless you have issues with portability. I owned 13" and 15". I loved the 13" because it was so small, light and portable but that doesn't mean the 15" isn't (just not as portable in comparison). I edit HD videos as well but on the 15" because I need all the horsepower I can get. I had a great experience between both laptops but eventually had to sell the 13" to make room for my nMP.

Summary:
    Priority: Portability and everyday normal use -> 13"
    Priority: Performance and more screen estate -> 15"

P.S Though people say the 13" is enough for HD video editing, based on my experience, I had lag issues when editing HD videos (before you judge, I've set all to proxy and better performance in FCPX) on my 15" rMBP with GT650M. There was one point, my whole system was stuttering and unresponsive when I'm over the 20 minutes editing mark. And that hence, made me decide to switch to the nMP. I did not try editing on the 13" maybe because I didn't want to get disappointed even more. :cool: