Classic Software?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by UltraNEO*, Jan 1, 2009.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hiya guys, where do you folks fine software to run on your beautiful machines? Cause I wanna get my old mac working but instead of running OSX, I'm thinking System7 or 8.

Would anyone like to share? (informations and links)

Thanks alot
    and Happy New Year!:)

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Which Mac are you going to run OS 7 or 8 on? And what kind of software do you want to use?

3. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I have a old PowerMac 7500/100 that I've purchased over ten years ago, back then it was new! It's been slightly upgraded.
    I have a lovely heavy weight Apple Extended Keyboard, Memory upped from the original 8Mb to 178Mb,
    Think I've added an additional HD either 1Gb or 3Gb. Has a internal SCSI Zip drive with missing face-plate,
    LeCie MO drive... Think I have drivers somewhere...

I've all the original packaging, manuals, system software (OS7.2, OS8. OS8.5 and OS9).
    I can tell you it costed me a small fortune! I've even have a old ImageWriter but I'm missing the connection cable.

But anyway, since I upgraded to a G4 Cube when they were released, my poor 7500 has been sitting in boxes ever since, I just thought it'll be nice to bring out of the cold and power it up once in a while. Perhaps get it to do simple things such as WP, light Photoshoping.. etc.

Looking around my studio, I've still own a tons of commercial application from the likes of Macromedia and Adobe but no utilities that could solve some disk problems. I think, links to sources of public domain and freeware that was available at the time...

Also, I'm missing one thing... the Mac to VGA adaptor. Know where I can find one?

4. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

System 7 Today is a nice resource, for starters:
    http://main.system7today.com/

5. Mac SK macrumors member

After all this time in a box your going to need a new pram battery. Change it before you crank it up. You can do lite graphics on that puppy and run some
    South American country with it.:rolleyes:

6. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hehe.. I have a small battery pack from a cordless phone hard-wired to the logic board via clips. It seems to do the job, both are rated at 3.6volts.

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Here are a number of links I have built up
    68KMLA Forums
    Mac OS/System updates
    Links to updates and an all around good site Low End Mac
    Greg's Shareware not free but great for customizing the User Interface
    Junkyard Jeff good for old parts
    Macintosh Garden free games nuff said
    FTP site for Apple updates
    XPostFacto run up to 10.2 (requires a 603 or 604 CPU card at the very least, does not work with 601's)
    More updates
    Really old software (in case you want to set up a Mac 128K, 512K, 512Ke, Plus, XL or II)
    Freeware and shareware
    Manuals

That should help you get started.

Oh and the VGA adapter

8. Mac512Guy macrumors newbie

Another great Mac collecting site

The Mac 512 has many links to sites that claim to have working software. I don't know if those sites do but it may be good to check them out. (The Mac 512 does not distribute software from their site directly.) Many free Mac OS updates to free versions are at the bottom of the page.

http://www.mac512.com/macwebpages/ssdl.htm

9. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Thanks G4 for all those marvellous links. :)

Just this weekend I've encountered a little hardware issue. I'm now in the market for a SCSI II HD, looking for 3Gb+.
    You wouldn't know anyone who'd still make them or perhaps sell them, would you?