Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
The T530 is a great machine. I have repaired and refurbished several. It is the last "classic" T-series before the Tx40 series design with a chicklet keyboard and many drawbacks including an awful trackpad.
Yeah, it have the chiclet keyboard but still retains many of the classic design features such as the trackpad with the discreet buttons, the ThinkLight, and the lid latches. Mine just arrived in the mail, so here are some pictures of mine. :)

IMG_4729.jpg
IMG_4728.jpg

IMG_4727.jpg
IMG_4725.jpg

And here's the dock alone (which also came with the unit):
IMG_4723.jpg

Reactions: Tekguy0

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
These thinkpads are amazing! Love that industrial design on them! The new ones are nice too, but something about that blue enter key, the quirky off center displays, and funky IBM logo gets me a little too excited!!!

Tekguy0

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2020
What true aficionado of classic ThinkPads is concerned with the trackpad? ;)
The right/left-click and scroll buttons are now integrated with the trackpad, so unless you use an external mouse you are interacting with the trackpad in some way.

Reactions: RogerWilco6502

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Just paid for a T42p a few days ago from the UK. It has a German keyboard so I'll need to swap it with an en-US one once I receive it, but after that it'll be good to go. :D

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020
Thanks! Primarily that its a decently modern T series ThinkPad. I wanted to get one to compliment my P53 and to have as a Linux machine. I was browsing offers and found a T530. Upon looking at it online, it appears to be quite a nice machine. :)

I have a T530 laying around. Got it around 2013 I think. I just wish it had better resolution than 1600x900.

What I really love is that it runs FreeBSD on bare metal very well. It's definitely a good Linux laptop too, of course, but FreeBSD hardware is tough to stumble upon in a mostly stock laptop. Mostly stock, because I changed out the wireless card in it and added some RAM.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
I have a T530 laying around. Got it around 2013 I think. I just wish it had better resolution than 1600x900.

What I really love is that it runs FreeBSD on bare metal very well. It's definitely a good Linux laptop too, of course, but FreeBSD hardware is tough to stumble upon in a mostly stock laptop. Mostly stock, because I changed out the wireless card in it and added some RAM.
Epic! I'll keep that in mind about FreeBSD. Mine runes Ubuntu Cinnamon. This generation of ThinkPads must use hardware that is pretty universal in terms of support, as they're also known to be easily hackintoshable. :)

Reactions: CasualFanboy

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020
Epic! I'll keep that in mind about FreeBSD. Mine runes Ubuntu Cinnamon. This generation of ThinkPads must use hardware that is pretty universal in terms of support, as they're also known to be easily hackintoshable. :)
What kind of wireless card does it have? I think mine came with a Realtek and it wasn't very good, so I replaced it with an Intel Taylor Peak 6150. Much better.

Also if you're into the BSD's, this thing runs OpenBSD flawlessly. The hardware support - including all trackpad/trackpoint features - is better than OEM. It's unbelievable really. I just prefer FreeBSD to OpenBSD for everything but that.

Last edited:

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
What kind of wireless card does it have? I think mine came with a Realtek and it wasn't very good, so I replaced it with an Intel Taylor Peak 6150. Much better.

Also if you're into the BSD's, this thing runs OpenBSD flawlessly. The hardware support - including all trackpad/trackpoint features - is better than OEM. It's unbelievable really. I just prefer FreeBSD to OpenBSD for everything but that.
Ok, thanks for the information! It is much appreciated.

I have a Taylor Peak 6205 in my T530. :)

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
Work provided me with an ibm TP back in the day, It was a tank, but I didn't like the red dot staring me in the face all the time. I would doing work and start playing around with it constantly. ha ha. It never failed. They replaced it with a compaq after that.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Work provided me with an ibm TP back in the day, It was a tank, but I didn't like the red dot staring me in the face all the time. I would doing work and start playing around with it constantly. ha ha. It never failed. They replaced it with a compaq after that.
Epic! Do you know what model?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Only things I miss on the x61s are the key switches and aspect ratio but the x200 has more usable performance, doesn't run as hot and can boot off of SD card slot. Not bad for a 2008 device that's still usable in 2021.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.