Classic users....video, yes or no?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by jediistar, Feb 13, 2008.

1. jediistar macrumors 6502

I'm interested in honest real world experienced opinions on the quality of watching video on this device. Screen size is obviously a concern because my usage pattern will offer me ample time to watch movies, either while traveling or while running at the gym.

I have concerns about the screen size however and the ability to watch it for hours on end say while traveling. I know I know the touch has the larger screen but doesn't have the storage for my purposes so lets try and refrain that as a recommendation. I can't justify a larger expenditure for something that has less overall use for me.

Are classic users satisfied with the overall video experience it provides, can you tolerate a full length movie without getting a headache?!

Honest answers would be most welcomed.

2. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

I've watched a couple of full length movies and a few episodes of Lost. Sure the screen is small but content is perfectly watchable IMO.

SL

3. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

Haven't ripped any movies to mine (yet) but I once watched a bunch of Simpsons and Father of the Pride episodes (seven or eight for a total of three hours) back-to-back on it and it wasn't bad at all.

4. Seanasaur macrumors member

Yes, it's a small screen but not distractingly so. I tend to forget I'm even looking at an iPod after a while. However, I do prefer fullscreen as opposed to widescreen...might as well take advantage of what pixels you have!

5. jediistar thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats what I am looking for, full length viewing time. Guess I am just a little nervous that it will be distracting after a while, to the point of a headache I suppose. Searching around online has reviewed the video quality moreso than reviewing watching video itself.

Its sitting right here next to me, begging, waiting to be opened. What to do?!

6. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I think you will be fine. The screen resolution is pretty high, an the picture quality is pretty good. I have been impressed with what I have seen...

7. ahand macrumors member

i've watched plenty of video content on my classic, but on my iphone the screen makes it very enjoyable to watch video. if you're going to be doing a lot of video i recommend a touch, the screens on these devices are gorgeous

8. jediistar thread starter macrumors 6502

As I stated in the first place, I didn't want the touch as a recommendation. I'm looking for opinions on the classic.

9. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

The Picture quality is very good! It is very easy to watch full length stuff and forget you are watching it on an iPod. However it is best to have the screen as close to you as possible.

10. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I used mine over two weeks for video and music whilst traveling and can say it is excellent. You get engrossed in the movie, that you hardly notice the size.

11. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

you watch it so close to your face thats its like you are watching a movie on a huge TV. Its so clear and crisp.

12. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Nothing beats curling up in bed to watch videos on my classic. You won't be disappointed by the video playback. Of course, if you have any electronics/ Apple stores nearby, I would recommend visiting them to have a look.

13. calculus Guest

calculus

14. jediistar thread starter macrumors 6502

I've looked and looked and looked a little more. It looks just fine when in the store for 20 minutes but as the person above me writes, whats the most comfortable way to hold the thing on a plane? I could get a case with a back mount but as some of you have said, the closer to your face, the more enjoyable the experience.

It seems like everyone gives a thumbs up to it so perhaps I need to remove my reservations, pop open the box and start ripping dvd's.

Any users have ideas for comfortable holding?

15. taylor200588 macrumors regular

taylor200588

its gay wen your watching a widescreen movie and theres a wee picture and two massive black strips one one the top and one on the bottom. i guess if i were to convert it to the iPod classic screen size it would be ok

waaaaaay prefer watching movies on the old iPhone ;)

16. Charzipan macrumors newbie

I must be the only one here who hates watching videos on my ipod. Just a matter of personal preference in my case. I like having short youtube vids on there, but nothing longer. Resolution's fantastic but the screen's just too small for me to get a good feel of what I'm watching.

17. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I do have to ask why you are ruling out a touch...

With my video iPod, I would watch a movie from time to time, but it wasn't an 'enjoyable' experience. One big point: any subtitles of any kind are nearly unreadable. (If you never watch movies with any kind of subtitles, then I guess it doesn't matter, though.)

When I got my iPhone, it was a night-and-day difference. I actually watch movies and TV shows more often on my iPhone now than on my computer. (And I have an EyeTV Hybrid HD tuner.) With the latest iPod touch having 32 GB, that should be plenty to hold a very large music collection, plus a few movies. My 8 GB iPhone holds enough music for me for even the longest road trip, plus a couple movies, plus a few video podcasts, plus a few TV show episodes. (I have it set for the latest three unwatched of each of my four podcasts, latest unwatched of each of my three TV shows, have two 10-minute home videos, and generally have 1-2 theatrical movies. This is on top of plenty of music, consisting of all of my 5-star songs (out of a 20 GB library,) plus all tracks imported/bought in the last 30 days, plus a random 500 MB of 'not heard recently'.)

I still have my big iPod. It is useful plugged into an iPod speaker/dock, or connected to the home theater because it is the holder of all of my music. But for actual on-the-go use, I use the iPhone nearly exclusively. And my wife uses her nano instead of the big iPod. THe physically smaller sizes, combined with the 'enough for a reasonable period of time' capacity makes the flash players plenty for almost all uses. The only time in the past year we actually brought the big iPod along with us when travelling anywhere was for a 1500 mile road trip, and that was before I got my iPhone or my wife got her new nano; when our 'portable' iPods were a first-gen nano and a shuffle.