Classic Window Mode

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by StrongBad, Oct 6, 2009.

1. StrongBad macrumors member

One of the only 3rd party apps I've ever used, LiteSwitch X, seems to be gone completely. Now I'm looking for something to mimic the "Classic Window Mode" it offered - but I don't need anything else to go along with it. no menu items, no dock modifications, no APE install, etc. This rules out multiXFinder, ASM, or CVM.

For details on different window modes: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20020628011652957

Any thoughts on getting "Classic Window Mode" back in Snow Leopard?

2. devburke Guest

I’m confused, if you click the dock icon of an app or cmd-tab to it, all of the windows already come to the front. The only time this doesn’t happen is when you click a specific window.

If you’re looking to hide the windows of all inactive apps, just press option-cmd-h, or when you clicking the dock icon or window to switch apps, hold option.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Doubtful, especially since so many people have left OS9 ages ago and many more OSX users have never even used OS9 (or OS8/system 7 etc)

Looks like the author of the app has pulled up tent stakes and is no longer updating the app (or his site).

4. StrongBad thread starter macrumors member

really??? that confused you??? Wh, because it's not how YOU want things done?

Its spelled out very plainly. Yes, when you click an app it doesn't bring all windows forward. That's what I'm trying to solve.

I do not want to hide inactive apps, but thank you, I know the keyboard command. I think they teach that in 3rd grade.

5. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

Download it: http://proteron.portcode.com/LiteSwitchX2.6.dmg

6. devburke Guest

Jesus man, chill out! I’m trying to help you here.

When you click on an app’s dock icon or cmd-tab to it, yes all of its windows come to the front. You do not need a third part app for this. This is why I’m confused, I don’t know what functionality you would like the third party app to add that is not already there. Now if you calmly and politely explain to me what the difference is between that and what you would like it to do, I will do my best to help you find a solution.

7. StrongBad thread starter macrumors member

We've estblished that fact and I never doubted it.

Oh, I'm still talking about "Classic Window Mode" - I guess you aren't familiar with it OR the concept of clicking a link to read about it.

I'm looking for "Classic Window Mode" plain and simple. Across the entire OS regardless of the method used to change between windows and apps. You yourself said clicking a window (or the desktop) will not bring all the windows with that app to the front. "Classic Window Mode" corrects this behavior and does so.

Since your link clicking hand must be broken: Classic Window Mode makes it so that when a program comes to the front, all of its windows come to the front, just like they did under every other Mac OS before OS X.

Does not work correctly with Snow Leopard nor has it been updated since 2006. Thanks anyways.

8. devburke Guest

Look, I don’t know why you get so worked up and angry on the internet. Maybe you got dumped recently. Maybe you’re having a bad day. Maybe you just really need to get laid, or at least bust a nut. I don’t know. But try and be a little more civil to people. Especially the ones who are trying to help you. I never tried to pick a fight with you. Clearly I did click the link and read it, seeing as I quoted the exact same thing you did in my first post. I shouldn’t even bother with you any more, so I’ll just make this post and be done with it.

OK, so you’d like clicking an app’s window to behave the same way that clicking its dock icon or cmd-tabbing to it does. I don’t know of any way to do that. But there is a menu item under “Window” to bring all of an app’s windows to the front.

Screen shot 2009-10-07 at 12.53.38 PM.png

You can even go into System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Application Shortcuts and set a universal keyboard shortcut to bring all of the current app’s windows to the front.

Screen shot 2009-10-07 at 12.56.17 PM.png

It’s one extra step from what you’re looking for, but it’s the best I can come up with.

9. StrongBad thread starter macrumors member

Thanks (i guess), but that "1 extra step" is exactly what I'm trying to replace with a 3rd party app or terminal modification. So in short, your answer is really "no, I don't know any apps that can do that".