Classic with Panther

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hughvane, Dec 11, 2008.

1. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Pardon mon ignorance, but is Classic part of Panther, or was it only put into Tiger? I have a USB Zip drive that I wish to use with my G3 iMac/Panther, but which requires Classic to operate. The Zip works fine with my eMac/Tiger because of course Classic is part of that OS.

I have just been through the lengthy process of formatting the iMac's hard drive and loading applications etc, so I don't wish to do it again >BUT< must I reformat the HD into two partitions and install OS 9.2.2 on one of them? Do I need to Archive & Install? Sage advice please.

2. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

I've done this before, but don't exactly remember how. Try going into System Preferences and clicking the "Classic" icon located at the bottom. Snoop around in there and see if there are some instructions. I'm thinking that's what got me started.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Huh? Where do you get your information? You may have files on your ZIP drive for which there is no compatible MacOS X application. You may also have a MacOS 9 application on your ZIP drive. However, MacOS X supports ZIP drives all by itself. It does not rely on Classic for hardware support.

MacOS 9 may be installed on its own partition. It may be installed on the same partition as MacOS X. The choice is yours.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Ok, just booted an old 10.3.9 hard drive I had hanging around for reference and the Classic environment is supported by it (and a pref pane is installed in System Preferences). It requires 9.1 or later to work BTW.

There is no need to repartition to install OS9 on a Mac OSX volume by the way (much to your relief! ;)). System 9 sets up a "System Folder" in the root of the disk as opposed to OSX's "System" so all is well- and a fresh install of OS9 does not even realize that OSX is there already.

A really good chapter from the Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger: Visual QuickStart Guide is Chapter 18, "The Classic Environment" which has been released into the public domain by the author and can be downloaded via a link here. Although it is aimed at Tiger obviously, most of the info applies to Panther as well, particularly the part about installing OS9.

5. hughvane thread starter macrumors 6502

hughvane

SMD - you are indeed a champion, may your blood be bottled for future generations of Mac users (a bit at a time of course) :)
    Eez - thank you, I'll have a look.
    MM - the information came from the Iomega software, so I guess it knows what it's talking about.

Okay, the picture is a good deal clearer now. Interestingly (for me), the Iomega Zip worked - eventually - with my b/w G3 after I'd installed the software from the Iomega CD ... but only in OS X. But then it wouldn't eject, no matter what I did. It's bus-powered, but I've used it through a powered hub as well, both 1.1 and 2. With the eMac/Tiger, it works as sweet as you like.

So, why did that happen, when the installation was intended for the separate OS 9 drive I have in that particular computer (see my specs)? A mystery has been committed!

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I've been using ZIP drives with MacOS X since 2001. You don't have to guess about that.

7. hughvane thread starter macrumors 6502

hughvane

To quote your Sig:
    "Neither a borrower nor a lender be
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend."

To which I shall add:
    "Neither a pedant nor a quibbler be
    For it dost lose respect for thee." ;)

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I have used ZIP drives with MacOS X since the original commercial release of the OS. That is not a quibble, that is a fact. Accept if you like. Reject it if you want. I don't seek the respect of those who can't face facts.