Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
So I am trying to run Mac OS 9 Classic support for my older applications, but when I was resuming from sleeping, I got an error message that said Classic failed to copy a file. I went into System Preferences, and the Classic pane wasn't there, so I couldn't start it up. I have tried everything I could think of, apart of reinstalling the entire OS. I reinstalled Classic support, that didn't help. I verified and repaired the disc permissions, that didn't help. I looked in the prefpanes folder, and the OS 9 Classic pref pane is not there :confused:. How to get it back, as repairing disc permissions did not do anything? Please help soon.
Thanks!
-jrsx

havokalien

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
Kelso, Wa
Reinstall OS 9

Sounds like someone messed with your OS 9 system folder. You won't lose anything if you reinstall OS 9 and update it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Sounds like someone messed with your OS 9 system folder. You won't lose anything if you reinstall OS 9 and update it.
I think the OP is on OS X though. He's missing the Classic System Preference Pane. Even if you don't have a valid Classic folder the pane can still be there (if running Tiger or less). If the OP does not have a OS9 bootable Mac he can't reinstall.

I don't think reinstalling would give him the pane back.

Anyone out there have the Classic pane they can copy and then zip up and post here for the OP?

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
The prefpane only shows when you have a OS 9 system folder in root. If something is mucked in the system folder, you'll need to get a new one from macintoshgarden or copy off an older computer running OS 9 or something.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Alright, I realized that I posted this thread in the wrong location, so sorry for that. I reinstalled classic, booted up from the OS X install disc and verified permissions, repaired them, verified the disc, and repaired the disc, and nothing seems to help. It said the the volume "Macintosh HD" appears to be OK, and nothing needed to be repaired. Please help! Classic works when I put old software in via DVD drive, but I would like the prefpane back! When I go to the prefpanes folder, as I think I said above, it is not in the folder. Why would it have disappeared? :confused:

havokalien

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
Kelso, Wa

You did not mention what version of OS X your using but classic requires 9.2 or higher for classic. So find the updates and try. I'm not sure what got botched but the pane missing is a loss of something in OS 9. If you upgraded to 10.5 you lost classic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.