Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
My Dad has a PowerMac G4 AGP 450mhz with 768mb of RAM and a few hard drives and Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger", the machine runs fine except for Classic. Now the oddest thing happens when I try and start Classic. Classic will be 99% done starting up and it comes up with a dialog box...not a OS 9 style one but a OS X one saying:

Connection failed
The server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address and try again. [OK]

Now this is puzzling me...I tried this with multiple system folders from HDs and CD-ROM drives (OS 9 install cd) and the same thing happens. Also if I disconnect my ethernet connection (my one and only internet source) and I try and startup OS 9 I get a nice Kernel Panic.

If I click OK it will just keep coming up until I stop classic. There is a screenshot below...when ever I try and click on the OS 9 box (yellow) it comes up with the message. The ONLY thing I can think of if the Mac OS 9 system folder had a preference to connect to a server at startup...but that doesn't seem to logical since I don't believe I've ever set that up.
Why do I need Classic?

I have a USB laptop Hard Drive enclosure and I have the original OS 9 CD...I need to format the laptop drive and install OS 9 on it but my PowerBook G4 12" dosen't like the hard drive so I can't install Mac OS 9 via that machine. Odd because if I put any other laptop drive in the case it works but with this older one from a old Mac laptop it's picky...maybe it needs more power? - because the new PC and old G4 Mac reads it fine. And this is all because my PowerBook 5300cs doesn't have a CD drive and I don't have a working external SCSI CD-ROM drive...

Also if I boot the Mac G4 into OS 9 I don't think 9 would know what to do with the USB laptop enclosure...but I'll give it a shot.

Don't you wish you had my free time to worry about such non-sense? :p

Any help would be wonderful, I'm sure my dad would like to use Classic again when he needs to.

Attachments

• the_trouble_with_classic.jpg
    the_trouble_with_classic.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 176

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
OK, it is not Classic failing. If you have the patience to OK through all of these, Classic will start.

What Dad has done is brough a OS9 system folder over from another machine; the OS is trying desperately to open some things on drives/servers that no longer exist.

What you need to do is to go into the (Classic) System Folder: Preferences and trash every Preference that says Appleshare, and trash Appleshare Prep. Might as well throw out the Recent Servers folder from Apple Menu Items, and look in the Startup Items and throw out any aliases that are in there.

While you are at it, set the Classic Preferences Pane to open Classic with Extensions Manager, and then turn off all unneeded extensions and control panels. If you have a font manager in there like Suitcase or Adobe Type Manager Deluxe, be aware that they may be trying to open fonts from non-existent disks as well.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
CanadaRAM said:
OK, it is not Classic failing. If you have the patience to OK through all of these, Classic will start.

What Dad has done is brough a OS9 system folder over from another machine; the OS is trying desperately to open some things on drives/servers that no longer exist.

What you need to do is to go into the (Classic) System Folder: Preferences and trash every Preference that says Appleshare, and trash Appleshare Prep. Might as well throw out the Recent Servers folder from Apple Menu Items, and look in the Startup Items and throw out any aliases that are in there.

While you are at it, set the Classic Preferences Pane to open Classic with Extensions Manager, and then turn off all unneeded extensions and control panels. If you have a font manager in there like Suitcase or Adobe Type Manager Deluxe, be aware that they may be trying to open fonts from non-existent disks as well.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Yes that sound like the problem, I'm opening the system folder now and trashing those files. Thanks so much! I'll get back to you on the result ;) :D

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Yep everything is fine, I was able to format that laptop hard drive and everything. I had to use the OS 9 Base Extension set because my dad had way too many things in there...ATM...Suitcase...and more.

Thanks again! :D
-Limey

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.