MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Classicbot, known for its line of Apple-inspired plush toys and figurines like the iBot G3, today introduced its newest figurine, the iBoy, which has been designed as an homage to Apple's 2001 iPod Classic.

classicbotiboyfront.jpg

Available for pre-order on Kickstarter, the iBoy, created by designer Philip Lee, is a cross between a robot and an iPod with a functional rotating click wheel, a mirror-like chrome finish on the back, antenna formed from EarPods, and magnetic arms.

classicbotiboyback.jpg

There are no electronic parts inside as the iBoy is meant to be a figurine for display, but it does look like a functional MP3 player. With the magnetic limbs and EarPods pulled off, it can convert from robot mode to an MP3 player mode that more closely resembles the iPod.

classicbotiboymp3mode.jpg

While the rear of the iBoy has the chrome finish at the back, the body is made from an iPod-like glossy white ABS plastic, silk-screened details complete with ports, clickable buttons, and the aforementioned click wheel that actually turns.

classicbotiboylimbs.jpg

Though we often shy away from sharing Kickstarter projects because of issues with production and oft-delayed release dates, Classicbot's Philip Lee has an established storefront and experience making many other similar toys.

classicbotiboyheadphones.jpg

The first iBoys are expected to be released in November 2020, and the earliest pre-order customers on Kickstarter can pick one up for HK$ 229, which is about $30 in U.S. currency. iBoys will come with a series of limited-edition mini posters featuring the iBoy in different poses and environments.

Update: With the project fully funded, Classicbot is adding a new black color option for users to choose from. Backers will be able to select a black iPod with a red dial, modeled after the U2 edition.

ipodu2boy.jpg

Article Link: Classicbot Debuts New 'iBoy' Retro iPod Toy

Last edited:

The Cappy

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2015
Dunwich Fish Market
"With the magnetic limbs and EarPods pulled off, it can convert from robot mode to an MP3 player mode that more closely resembles the iPod."

By "more closely resembles" you mean "almost exactly imitates"?

Is Apple really going to allow them to make these? I'll be astonished.
[automerge]1584447412[/automerge]
I miss the iPod. Far superior user interface for listening to music compared to the iOS “music app”. <— soulless and uninspired.
I loved that click wheel for navigating audio books.

Comment

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I usually would never bash a product that I have no interest in because I'm a 'to each their own' type of guy, but I cannot imagine for the life of me why anyone would pay $30 for this piece of crap that serves no purpose other than to be a decoration that looks like an iPod. Small children would have no interest in it because they have no clue what an iPod is and I would hope that an adult would realize this thing is worth 5 bucks at best.

Comment

torontotim

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2019
Holy cow. I'm so sorry, that so many of you, are so damn miserable.

It's this sort of useless plastic junk that is cluttering up the planet. So.... yeah, pretty miserable.

More disposable dust gathering plastic crap is created for the sole purpose of profit. Hopefully the EU will lead and more jurisdictions drive towards repairable electronics which should render crap like this impossible to produce.

This isn't art, it's not terribly creative, it's just a sad little dust gathering trinket. If you want a nostalgic souvenir of the iPod, buy an original iPod.

I have my first 5GB click wheel Firewire iPod in its original box. When I get tired of it being around I'll send it to Apple or somewhere for recycling.

Comment

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
It was just iPod at the time, not iPod Classic. Classic iPod maybe, but the name was just “iPod”.

Comment

slowpoke

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2007
Bellona
Speaking as an extremely regular brained man who frickinmng LOVES to touch computers, and uses his forums signature to make sure everyone knows which specific types of computer he owns, I'm completely furious and bereaved that this exists.

Comment

satchmo

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I usually would never bash a product that I have no interest in because I'm a 'to each their own' type of guy, but I cannot imagine for the life of me why anyone would pay $30 for this piece of crap that serves no purpose other than to be a decoration that looks like an iPod. Small children would have no interest in it because they have no clue what an iPod is and I would hope that an adult would realize this thing is worth 5 bucks at best.

Not my cup of tea either. But you'd be amazed at how popular stuff like this are. It's really no different from action figures from comics, pop culture and especially movies. While I don't suspect the value of an iboy will ever appreciate, an unopened package of StarWars figurines are worth a pretty penny.

Reactions: stiligFox
Comment

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
I have my first 5GB click wheel Firewire iPod in its original box. When I get tired of it being around I'll send it to Apple or somewhere for recycling.

I’d really hope you’d sell it to a collector or someone who can get it working again. Still rock a 4th gen iPod myself - there will always be someone who’s willing to get old gadgets functional again.

Comment

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I can totally understand that not everyone would want to buy something like this, but that anyone would be so offended by its very existence is very surprising to me. Do you guys feel the same way about children's toys as well?

More disposable dust gathering plastic crap is created for the sole purpose of profit. Hopefully the EU will lead and more jurisdictions drive towards repairable electronics which should render crap like this impossible to produce.
I don't even understand this sentence. What do regulations on repairable electronics have to do with anything? This isn't an electronic device.

Reactions: Jynto
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.