iPhone Clean 6.1.2 Restore

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dontpannic, Mar 26, 2013.

1. dontpannic macrumors 6502

dontpannic

Hi Guys,

Now that we know 6.1.3 is unjailbreakable at the moment, those of us with iPhone 4S or 5 devices who have saved blobs - are we able to do a clean restore of 6.1.2 if 6.1.2 is already installed?

I gave it a go the other night and only got "iPhone is not eligible for the requested build", even with the hosts set to Cydia or using TinyUmbrella's TSS server.

I guess that there is no way to restore to a factory 6.1.2 now for a clean jailbreak?

Cheers,
    Nick

2. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

3. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

No, well known that blobs don't work on 6.x for A5+ devices.

4. dontpannic thread starter macrumors 6502

dontpannic

Lucky I backed up my LaunchDaemons folder before removing the software update plists!

5. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Well, all current jailbreakers are terrified of being forced to go to 6.1.3. Install just one wierd Cydia app, and blammo! you now have to install 6.1.3 to unbrick.

6. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Really?
    Why you place your device into safe mode and simply delete the offending tweak?

7. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

there's always the chance that one of the tweaks will mess up some sort of system files (or whatever it does that doesn't use mobile substrate) and cause your device to not even be able to boot up in normal, safe mode, or mobile substrate disabled and the only way out is to restore

8. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I have always been curious why the "Erase All Contents and Settings" feature doesn't work after a jailbreak. This would be so great if that still worked, anyone could just easily, right from the phone, go back to a stock version of whatever version of ios they sre currently on.

9. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

I believe the reason it doesn't work because Cydia modifies the file system when you first run it after a jailbreak.

10. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Makes sense, but why couldn't someone build in a way that it changes it back somehow?

11. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

my guess is that the original file system is not compatible with the way how cydia packages can be installed. And I don't think there was such a button to "erase all contents and settings" in the earlier iOS's. I'm not too certain about this last part though

12. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

i did some googling and found this for you: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13994720#post13994720

looks like it needs to change permissions from read only to read and write as well as move the files elsewhere so this essentially means you are missing all the system files when you click erase all content and settings.

it erases everything in the "media" partition but has missing necessary files that are supposed to be in the "system" partition to boot up which explains why it gets stuck at the reboot loop. or, that's one way you could look at it.

13. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Interesting, it's amazing what's involved in something that can seem so simple looking at it from the users end. I just plug my phone in and click the Jailbreak button, nothing to it:D. Thanks for the info.

14. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

Truth! It actually is pretty worrisome.