Clean a MBP of unneeded Folders

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gw0gvq, Sep 8, 2015.

1. gw0gvq Contributor

gw0gvq

Does anyone please know the folders and files that can be deleted without the aid of software that won't harm a mac when deleted to clean a mac? If so can they please share

2. hotelspunk33 macrumors newbie

By clean do you mean clean install/boot yosemite in factory settings?

3. gw0gvq thread starter Contributor

gw0gvq

Sorry , I mean as you'd get rid of uneeded stuf like a defray in windows , not completely , only I have this pop up that says my mac has a virus and it will clean it , but I can't click the x cos theres no way of closing it and I've tried closing safari but when I open the pop up is still there. I ran Adawaremedic but it found nothing.

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

See this recent thread for some suggestions:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-pro-virus.1913267/

5. Evren Carven, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015

Evren Carven macrumors regular

Evren Carven

It's hard to clean a malware by yourself. You'd better to use a third-party anti-malware to get out it by the link from CoastalOR's reply. For Safari, this may be caused by some extensions. You can disable the extension. Safari-Preferences-Extensions.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

Interesting thread title.

I only have 30gb out of 250gb left on my rmbp and 150gb are being occupied by 'other'.
    I have most of my raw images and videos on external drives and only apps installed that I really need.
    Most media files/itunes library are on my mac mini.

I can't figure out what to delete ... :confused:

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Use Omnisweeper or Whatsize.

OP the only folders you should safely delete are any in your home folder for your user account.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use OmiDiskSweeper myself.

Regardless of what you use, I would be hesitant to touch anything outside of your home folder or anything in the Library folder.

9. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

The Safe Mac was acquired by Malwarebytes with support now for Adware Medic. Also running Etrecheck can help show what you have that are a problem.

Of course a good clone of your system (I would use CCC) and backups - from previous - always helpful to have on hand.

That scam has been around for years, just do a quick search.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like you are caught in a Javascript loop that is reloading the same nasty web popup when you restart your browser. Hit command-q to quit Safari, then hold the shift key when you click to relaunch it and that should stop the popup from reloading.