clean display cover

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by edubrandl, Dec 10, 2016.

1. edubrandl macrumors newbie

edubrandl

hi there. this is my 1st appearance here.

well, i got a 2nd hand macbook air and the 1st owner in order to remove the stikers that he had in the cover, applyed something that made this cover like a mess. (image attached)

in order to clean, I tried:
    - WD40
    - window cleanner
    - light polish stuff for cars
    - alcohool.. and..
    NOTHING! nothing seams to help. by the image you can say that i need to use a stiker remover but when you pass the finger there, theres no variaton of texture what means that something reacts with aluminium....

i know too that you might say "grab a stiker full cover and bee happy" but

i'm those that even with a stiker, i'll be thinking that under that theres's some mass not cleaned... i know..

so, if someone could help, i'll be very thankfull...

tampa mac 1.jpg

2. Macgyver1 macrumors member

Macgyver1

Welcome to the forum.

I've used WD myself in automotive applications to remove adhesives. Of course the substrate differs(paint vs aluminum), that said, results are best achieved when soaking for long periods(12 to 48 hours). I'd start on the lightest approach possible before turning to solvents(Chlorinated brake clean).

If the aluminum itself has surface damage, your down the slippery sloap of buffing with rubbing compound and then applying a sealer.

Never heard of anyone waxing their MacBook, but you just might be onto something here.

Best of luck.

Cheers

3. edubrandl thread starter macrumors newbie

edubrandl

thanks man. so you suggest to let WD working for a long period on the case? the bad thing is that is difficult to load a great amount ow liquid on the top of the screen... and if you apply few it's dry too fast...
    as i dont want to teardown it, what do you think that i should do?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Almost looks like the previous owner tried a steel wool pad.

5. edubrandl thread starter macrumors newbie

edubrandl

I hear you... he told me that he used some cleanner product but he does not remember the name.....

6. Macgyver1 macrumors member

Macgyver1

A generous amount of WD on a rag then wipe affected area and let stand overnight. Keep all liquids away from any openings of course. As you said, if all fails, you can always put a cover on.

7. edubrandl thread starter macrumors newbie

edubrandl

I'll definitely do that today.... lets pray (for the believers) hehe